I know its been beat to death!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool I know its been beat to death!!!

However I have done searches until my head spins, I have a 68 Camaro wtih SpeedTech uca and 2" Hotchkiss springs, Baer 13" Track up front. And 1.5" dearched springs in back with Baer Sport 12" Rotors. I am wanting 17" rims.

Front- 245/45/17 with 5bs 17x8 rim
Rear- 275/40/17 with 5.5bs 17x9.5 rim

Does anyone have this setup or can you tell me if it will work. Please help before I go CRAZY!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 06, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Re: I know its been beat to death!!!

I've got pretty much the same setup as far as the tire sizes go, except 17x10's in the back if I remember correctly. In the back I can see it barely rubbing the inner fender well (I've never heard or felt it, it's just shiny, and that's with a thin wheel spacer). On the front when my tires were brand new, lock it lock it would hit the lower rear fender bolt (just barely). Now after some wear, it doesn't hit (that I've noticed anyway).

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 06, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech

That's max sizes that really fit. Keep in mind that all tires are not created equal. There are SLIGHT differences from brand to brand. That and the fact that these cars are 35+ years old and there are differences in room from side to side acounts for some minor rubbing. Some people can't stand any rubbing and drop down to 235/45s and 255/45s and some cars don't rub at all. Now that I totally confused you the point is every car is a little different and many tires are slightly different so results may vary. Bottom line is what you picked at your ride height SHOULD work.

Jack

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 06, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. This is the hardest decision for me so far, I thought the paint color was hard. It is just a huge investment and the rims have to be custom made so their won't be any returning them. As far as tires I was going to go with Nitto 555.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 06, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech
Ozzie

I have pretty much the same setup except with 6"bs in the back because I was deathly afraid of the rear tires sticking out beyond the wheel well. I have about 1/2" clearance to the rear inner wells. After a track day, I realized I was rubbing the inner sidewall of the right tire. I'm looking to add a 5/16" spacer and longer wheel studs before I go back.

Bottom line, If I had to do it over again, I would go with the exact setup you are considering to get the rear wheels out another 1/2".

'68 Camaro RS
zz383 (2005) rebuilt in 2019
AFR 195s, Quick Fuel 680, 700r4, Detroit TruTrac 3:42s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 06, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Mines a 67, but essentially the same...but I have the DSE coilovers and upper/lower control arms, disks all around. I'm running VWW V45's with Nitto 555 rubber.
Fronts no problem.
Rear, I orded 5.75 offset...it rubs inner wheel well sometimes when turning onto an incline...like a driveway or parking lot. I'm gonna try a 1/8 in spacer to see if that fixes it.
5.5 should be ok, but instead of the inner wheel well, you may rub the outer fender. This will simply mean that you need to roll the fenders from 10 oclock to 2 oclock...just be careful with your new paint.
Like stated before, every car is different. Since you've invested so much money in the paint...and now the wheels, you might consider getting one of those tools to measure offset or mocking something up. I saw car at a show this summer with a guy who had 5.5 in spacing and his tires were all cut up from rubbing the fender. He said he knew he needed to roll the fender, but was worried about his paint...he should be worried about the blow out he's going to have.
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 06, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Your right I would be more worried about a blowout!!! I really do not have a problem with rolling the fenders. I am going to have to take the car back to my paint guy when I get it all together anyway for final touch up. Scott your car looks good. I can't wait to get back on the road again. So it looks like these are the numbers I am going with. I will be nervous the whole time, but I won't be happy going smaller then finding out I could have gone with what I wanted. I will post some pics when I get them. Thanks for your help guys at least I will have some sort of peace with this.
Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode