How low can I go...front end - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford
How low can I go...front end

I am looking to lower the front of a 68 Camaro.

Will run a Scott's HotRod IFS front end (which is 1" narrower than standard Camaro sub frame)

Plan to run either 16" or 17" Budnik wheels (probably 7" or 8" wide).

I want the front fender lowered "over" the tire, such that the top of the rim will be hidden behind the bottom of the fender.

My question is if I do this with the 1" narrower IFS and the 7" rim (probably 235 tires), will I still get enough clearance to get a reasonable (and legal) steering / turning ability or will it rub ??

Not sure if anyone has done this before, I have seen plenty of cars this low, but all motionless and suspect they may be running airbags which i don't want to do, I want coilovers.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech

Re: How low can I go...front end

I don't know how the front end will be set up in your car but if it was stock you could not get it that low and drive it especially if your are going to use 16" wheels. It is just about a given you need at least 4" of clearence from the bottom of the crossmemeder to be able to drive the car. If you go with an 18 or 19 front wheel you may be able to get the entire sidewall of the top of the tire in the wheelwell. I don't think you can stay above the 4" rule with a 16" tire unless the sidewall is a 55 or 60 series. Then what's the point? The 1" narrower front track is not going to help keep the bottom of the car off the pavement - only the side to side clearence when the wheels are turned. Only marginally at that. You need air ride if you want the car that low in my opinion. Keeping in mind it's only my opinion and other people including yourself may not agree and I may not be correct. Just curious why the Scotts front end? You don't need it for coil overs. You can do that with several other choises including the complete DSE set up and you can do it with tubular control arms from Global West and Speed Tech. Do a search on coil overs and or control arms you will get hours of reading. Good luck on what ever you choose but just make sure you are going to be happy with what you choose.

Jack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 09:49 PM

Two things come to mind here. First, if this is the frame I think it is the shock placement will hinder your wheel width.

Second, I do not feel you can get that low on a 67-8 to hide the top of the tire because you will have almost zero bump travel.

Also, with the drop spindles you may have tie rod to wheel clearance issues. It is a known problem with stock frames. It depends on how the steering linkage is designed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 05:27 AM

And another opf overlooked point is that you CAN'T drop a car lower than the rims b/c then the car will catch on something vs rolling on the rims if you ever by chance blew a tire off a rim!

And my wife's little Brother just under her lost a tire one time like I'm talking about running like 60 mph or so down the road!

He later said, "talk about a supprise"!!

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
And another opf overlooked point is that you CAN'T drop a car lower than the rims b/c then the car will catch on something vs rolling on the rims if you ever by chance blew a tire off a rim!

And my wife's little Brother just under her lost a tire one time like I'm talking about running like 60 mph or so down the road!

He later said, "talk about a supprise"!!

pdq67
Yep, it is called the scrub line. That is a line you never cross.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via Yahoo to cluxford

Guys thanks good info. Scotts front end is being chosen as I live in Australia and they can provide a R&P steering on a new front clip in right hand drive. I can legally lower the car to 10 centimeters ground clearance in Australia (ie 4") which I intend to do, but not an expert in this so appreciate all the advice....I did look at the DSE clip, but being tubular I wasn't a fan as the car will be a show car driven maybe once or twice a month....the scott's clip is boxed, thanks again guys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech

I like to take my vehicles down until there are a steady stream of sparks coming out from the back of the car. LOL

Your car will only be too low when you are lower than the object you are trying to drive over, or your tires finally wear through the tops of your fenders......
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 06, 05:14 AM

That's right about the tops of the tires wearing through the inner fender panels b/c the great big tall 9.50/14 M&S tires I put on my car fit with no more that a finger between the front and back, but the top was right on the inner fender panel.

I had to install coil-overs and raise her 4" or so and then everything was fine!

He, He!! Speedometer went from 70 to 82 mph at the same rpm!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode