Sorry, nanother spare question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Sorry, nanother spare question

Anyone know what the best donor is for a 17" space saver tire, and where other than E bay to find it. I know go fish. Thanks Brian

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Sorry, nanother spare question

4th gen camaro?
we can use the brakes from those cars, and if they have a donut spare it should fit and clear also
i think it is worth a try
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech

some mid 80's G bodies have a 16" spare that fits nicely over 12" PBR brakes off Corvettes. i know the spare in my 84 T type cleared the brakes on my Nova. some of the same year Caprices also have a spare that clears- and it's aluminum, to boot.
the 17" spare in AWD Astros does NOT fit- i tried.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Great points on both accounts. I will let you guys know. thanks. Brian

1969 original SS in family since 1971.350/330 crate w/ comp 270 roller cam,2004R,355 12 Bolt posi,P/S P/FTD Brakes P/W P/TOP Orig A/C car but removed.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 09:08 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

04-05 GTO.
Like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...ayphotohosting

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech

thats the best looking spare i have ever seen
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 08:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Car nut - from what I could tell from your pictures you have drums out back and discs in the front. Are the front disc's stock 11" or are they larger? If stock, just about any wheel/tire will work as a spare. Just because you have 17" wheels doesn't mean you have to have a 17" spare.

OEM spare tires designs are not the most ideal even on the cars they came equipped. They come with warning lables about driving slow when in use and also warn about distance traveled... It's because they are not the same height as the tires the car came equipped with. Spares cause handling issues as well as kill wheel bearings and even rearends with extended use. That said the spare is just intended to get you to the next tire repair station and no further and owners manuals state that.

Typically what happens in folks busy days is the spare gets mounted and used until the weekend or that free time moment crops up... Fortunatlly for most of us out Camaros are extra vheicles and we are more attentive so a modern designed spare might actually be used as designed on our cars...

Bottom line is try to find a spare that is the same height as the tires on your car. If you have 26.2" tall rear's and 25.7" tall fronts a 26" tall spare would really be ideal... Next it's just a spare so run something narrow to cut down on weight and space. Of course you want something that will clear your brakes, most 15" wheels will clear stock disc's. If you have 13" C5 disc's thats another story. Use a cardboard templet and head to the nearest used tire store or the salvage yard...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

DjD,
What spare do you have to clear those brakes?
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 09:28 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

LOL... right now I carry a "spare in a can" and an auto club 100 mile membership... I was going to test fit my '96 SS spare but sold the car before I got around to it.

I really should find a spare thought to go with the bottle jack and torque wrench in the trunk...

...Dennis

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Ha Ha Who get's flat tires anymore anyways.... I'll just keep rolling the dice...

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Good eyes. Stock discs & drums. I just want to cut down on space that we don't have. Especally w/ a glass window. I wouldnt drive my car far because I don't want to wreck my nice painted bottom or my posi unit.

Finding a space saver is a mission. Most yards toss them because they are worthless. Any ideas? Brian

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 06:10 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hey Brian - from what I have seen on ebay a space saver out of a newer car will run you somewhere around the $50 plus shipping. From an old classic upwards of several hundred. I can't imagine salvage yards tossing them but if that is the case leave your name and number at their counter along with the make and model you want one from... We have used tire stores out here and they get $35 for a 15" steel wheel with a tire on it with wear bars almost showing...

Here's a ebay link to look through. http://search.ebay.com/search/space-...fclZ4QQfnuZ1QQ

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode