wheel changeover from 15x14 to ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

wheel changeover from 15x14 to ?

I have my deceased fathers 69 pro-street, 671 blown camaro and i am looking to update the 15x14 welds to a more modern look when i change over to air-ride shockwaves. The car is tubbed and the rear-end is narrowed.

My ? is-cna i run a 17x12 or something like that without changing the rear-end? If so, does anyone know who makes this wheel?

My idea was a classic muscle car like wheel-torque thrust?- but updating to 17x12 and 17x7. My only hang up with torque thrust is everyone has them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech

Re: wheel changeover from 15x14 to ?

I don't know how tall your current combo is but Mickey Thompson has come out with a complete line of pro street replacement wheels and tires in the more modern large diameters but they maybe only 18s and 20s. Check it out. The bigest thing your going to have to overcome is overall diameter. Most of the tires that are 335s or wider are only 30 or even 25 series (335/30-18 or 345/25-20). Here's the link http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...em=SportsmanSR

Jack

Last edited by JV69z/28rs; Dec 31st, 06 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

i am going to be running air-ride, so i should be able to compensate for the diameter, correct?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

In ride yes I would think so but what ratio rear is in the car? If it has 4:10s or 4:56s and there is a 31 or 32 tire on there and you drop down to a 26 tall tire the car is not really going to be very streetable (asuming that it is now with the blower motor in it).

Jack
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

oh.. now i feel stupid..this is why i wish my dad was still around. i am running 4.11 gears in the car. wouldn;t the 17" wheel and lower profile tire be the same total diameter as the current combo with the mickey sportsmans-18x31.5? and the 15x14 welds?

this is why i love this site..i learn things that i would never have known.

i want my performance to be optimum and have a great looking muscle car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

The tire on there now is 31.5" tall a 335/35-17 is 26.2" tall - that's a 20% difference. See what I mean?

Jack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

man..i was not taking that into consideration...i guess my only option is to stick with the welds???
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads camaro View Post
I have my deceased fathers 69 pro-street, 671 blown camaro and i am looking to update the 15x14 welds to a more modern look when i change over to air-ride shockwaves. The car is tubbed and the rear-end is narrowed.

My ? is-cna i run a 17x12 or something like that without changing the rear-end? If so, does anyone know who makes this wheel?

My idea was a classic muscle car like wheel-torque thrust?- but updating to 17x12 and 17x7. My only hang up with torque thrust is everyone has them.
Really, it all depends on your current setup, especially the width of the rear end and the backspacing on your current wheels.

And as mentioned, your current rear end gear ratio vs tire diameter.

If you get a wheel that doesn't end up in the same location (side to side), your tire may be too far inboard or too far outboard and look stupid.

I'd suggest you first get your backspace measurement, wheel width, and overall tire diameter, and rear axle width (flange to flange).

Then you can start talking about specifics. And you may wish to call a wheel company tech and get a general idea of what wheel specs you should be looking at to get something that will work without changing rear gears or rear end housings.

BTW: I'm going through a similar exercise, as I want to change from the Weld Prostars to something that is different and requires less maintenance.
Good old fashioned Chevy Rally's are on the top of my list right now. Simple, clean, a classic look, etc.

Good luck.

Team Chevelle Gold Member, #178: '69 Malibu Pro-Street
'69 Camaro
'65 GTO, 4sp, 400ci, console, bucket seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode