Help! Need Wheels 'n Tires quick! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Help! Need Wheels 'n Tires quick!

Hey guys, I'm sorry to be asking this bone-head question. I normally do all my own research and legwork before asking any questions here.

Here's my problem. I fell bass-akwards into a brand new front end for my Camaro, including 2" drop spindles and 13" wilwood disk brakes. That's the great part.

The crummy part is that I need new wheels and tires to go over the new rotors, and I need them fast so that I can move the car to have the subframe aligned.

Do you think I can run 16's? I'm thinking that I can with the right wheels. I'd like to run 7" all the way around. Does anybody have a setup kind of like this? What is proper back spacing?

Any tips where I should do my shopping? Someplace online that's reasonable?

Ok guys, thanks in advance for your help. I'm going to do some reading now, but thought maybe you could save me a few hours.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Re: Help! Need Wheels 'n Tires quick!

Is this for a 67, 68 or 69?

First tip, do not use 2" drop spindles. Your outer tie rods may contact your rims, plus they negatively impact your steering geometry. As for 13" Wilwoods on 16" rims....I am sure the combination would limit your choices. Do you have any rims in mind?

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 09:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

While you are waiting for more replies check out the Wilwood web site or at least send them an e-mail. No one would know better what fits around their brakes... Knowing what I do about my C5 13" brakes I'd say don't count on 16's fitting...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 10:22 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Tire selection also drops drastically when using a 16" rim compared to a 15" or 17" rim. As stated above, I'd not go with the drop spindles if you can help it in any way.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 07, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

bother, I was afraid of that with the drop spindles. so I'm stuck with 17's --mind you, it's not that they don't look good, but is Spokane WA over a 1/3 of the population drives SUV's --not because we're trendy --but the roads here are HORRIBLE. I was just looking for some more side wall...

Good idea about emailing wilwood. I'll do that this morning.

Oh yeah, the car is a '67 and I was thinking of going the rally route.

thanks for the input, guys

Aaron
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 07, 08:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

My cars been to Seattle and back and your roads are no worse that those here in the Bay area. I'm running 45 series on 17's and do pay attention to potholes and such when driving but have not had any real issues yet.

Get high quality alum wheels and they will take up some of the shock that steel wheels rely on tires to obsorb. You can (thanks to the SUV market) find 50 series performance tires to fit 17's now as well... The'll more than likely be 27" tall instead of 26" but it might really work on a '67 or '68 since a lot of owners seem to complain about not being able to fill the wheel wells after a 2" drop...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 07, 08:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I believe the issue is related to wheel width. Normally, people go wider when they go with 'taller' rims (ie 17s). Something like a 235/50/17 only needs a 7" wide rim (6.5-8.5 allowable)

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16609

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 07, 05:35 PM
Senior Tech

Here's the link to David Pozzi's site that shows the problem with dropped spindles. Max backspace is 4.25". http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen...#37;20Spindles

Jack
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 07, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ugh, David's photo of the 2" drop sure puts it where it is. That's horrible.

He talks about wide rims... I'm looking to use 7" rims all the way around. I would like the back spacing to be the same for all so that I can rotate and swap out wheels without trouble. I expect I won't ever use rubber any wider than 235mm (9.25") on any of the 4 corners.

There is probably no way of knowing what proper backspacing for 17's would be, because I have the drop spindles and the global west arms. I was hoping to get some leeway on clearence, since I'm not getting too greedy in the wheel or tire width area.

I know that a lot of guys sacrifice turning radius for tire size, but I like being able to turn to lock and dive into or out of a parking lot without bumping or rubbing.

So pretty much the only way to know fit for sure is to try 'em out and stick your head in there? Bother. I don't want to yank my local tire store around (schwabs). On the same token, I'm not paying an extra 600 clams for what I could get on the net way cheaper.

What do you think is the safest point for 235's on 17x7 rims? 4.5" of backspacing?

DjD: Heh, yeah, I've lived in Seattle and up near Bellingham --that whole area including I-5 and I-90 are great. If it's on the West side of the rockies (ie no snow) or state of federal funded road, then it's fine. Now inside the city of Spokane -these roads are bad. They say that Spokane is the lilac city, but I swear our city symbol is the pothole.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 07, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you just want to move the car, how about a couple of the compact spares, which have virtually no back spacing?

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 07, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yeah, maybe that's the way to go. Find some rollers and move it. *sighs* I was just wanting to solve the problem rather than band-aid it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode