BIIIG Wheel question?? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up BIIIG Wheel question??

i asked a question earlier about Minitubbing. BUT im not all sure that i have to go that route. What is the absolute biggest wheel/tire combo i can put in the rear for a 69 camaro? I can sacrifice cutting up some of the inner fender if need be. im not sure i would have to. i called a wheel dealer and the wheel i want for the rear is a BMW mesh style 20x10 and he recommended 295/30/20 tires... Could i get this accomplished without minitubbing? i would like a nice tucked look on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

Re: BIIIG Wheel question??

Brad.. just mini tubb it you tight wad Wait until I get mine done after the starbird show and you can look at it.... I don't think you can get a 20" wheel in the stock wheelwell.. A buddy of mine has 17x9.5 on his and they rub while cornering.... It's only money, you can make some more tomorrow

1969 LM1 Convertible Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The restoration is ON!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

by the way.. this isn't the right place to ask about wheels.. There is a thread specifically for tires/wheels or body...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The restoration is ON!!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecar View Post
by the way.. this isn't the right place to ask about wheels.. There is a thread specifically for tires/wheels or body...

haha well i havent been on here long enough to check out the whole place
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecar View Post
Brad.. just mini tubb it you tight wad Wait until I get mine done after the starbird show and you can look at it.... I don't think you can get a 20" wheel in the stock wheelwell.. A buddy of mine has 17x9.5 on his and they rub while cornering.... It's only money, you can make some more tomorrow

haha well if i made the paychecks you did Garry i would be all over it. I actually talked to a guy on Cardomain.com that did 20s all the way around, EVEN with a 4 inch drop. He said he didnt have to cut anything and pretty sure he didnt have to modify anything either. Hes running 20x9s I know of in the rear and either 20x8 or 20x9 in the fronts.

here is his link...its a very beautiful car
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806256
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 06:39 AM

Smile Re: BIIIG Wheel question??

Maybe?????????

Probably not on a '69, but I ran 298/53-14's M&S tires on my '67 using my stock 14" x 6" steel wheels with 3.75" back spacing on the back by using coli-overs to raise her up like 4" or so.. I say probably not b/c a '67/'68 has a taller/round opening whereas the '69 is flattened even tho it is wider both the other ways, I think?

You will do better than I did b/c the lower shock mount will tuck up inside the 20" rim so you can gain at least 1.25" to 1.5" or so towards the inner wall..

Did he post pic's of his tire and wheel combination on his car so everybody could get a look at it?

pdq67

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 07:17 AM

I doubt you will be able to get a 295 on a 20" rim in the back w/o modifing the sheetmetal. The extra height is what hurts you. The same applies to the front. I would think a 8" is the best you are going to do.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Maybe?????????

Probably not on a '69, but I ran 298/53-14's M&S tires on my '67 using my stock 14" x 6" steel wheels with 3.75" back spacing on the back by using coli-overs to raise her up like 4" or so.. I say probably not b/c a '67/'68 has a taller/round opening whereas the '69 is flattened even tho it is wider both the other ways, I think?

You will do better than I did b/c the lower shock mount will tuck up inside the 20" rim so you can gain at least 1.25" to 1.5" or so towards the inner wall..

Did he post pic's of his tire and wheel combination on his car so everybody could get a look at it?

pdq67

yeah i posted the link above but here it is again....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806256
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

You'd be living life dangerously with those sidewalls here in Oklahoma Brad. As you can see he doesn't have much sidewall at all with those 20's all the way around...Good way to ruin a good set of wheels.... But hey, they are only money and you can make some more tomorrow, right???

The restoration is ON!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

The Camaro on car domain has 20x9s all the way around. It doesn't say in the text but I believe they are 5.5" backspace. The car has Hotchkis frt and rear springs with 2" dropped spindles and a 1" lowering block (because of the 20" wheel the tie rod end is probably inside instead of against the tire/wheel). The front tires are 245/30s and the rears are 275/30s. The owner did say there were rubbing issues in the front so he went with the 30 series front tire (had 35s) and raised the car with a 1/2" spring spacer. Here's the link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806256/1

Jack

Last edited by JV69z/28rs; Jan 29th, 07 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more info
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 05:43 PM

I bet it has front rubbing issues with 20s on a 9" rim with 5.5"bs. He also raised the front suspension making bad geometry worse. He can have it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
The Camaro on car domain has 20x9s all the way around. It doesn't say in the text but I believe they are 5.5" backspace. The car has Hotchkis frt and rear springs with 2" dropped spindles and a 1" lowering block (because of the 20" wheel the tie rod end is probably inside instead of against the tire/wheel). The front tires are 245/30s and the rears are 275/30s. The owner did say there were rubbing issues in the front so he went with the 30 series front tire (had 35s) and raised the car with a 1/2" spring spacer. Here's the link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806256/1

Yeah i know i can do the 20x9 without a problem. AND, i left this out of the original post because i was just referring to the back wheels...I will be running either an 18" or 19" wheel in the front. I know that makes a TON of difference as opposed to the 20". Most likely I will opt for the 18" rim in front.
As for my suspension it has Hotchkis 2" drop springs in front. thats AS LOW as i want to go for now. I love the way my car sits. its perfect TO ME. And I realize that by sticking a bigger wheel up front will slighty raise it... In the rear i have just some 69 Z28 leaf springs, nothing major, but yet it still gives it the right stance for the wheel/tires i have on it now.

here is what the car looks like as of now... i would like to retain this same stance if at all possible, maybe EVEN got 1 1/2"-2" lower in the rear to even the car out
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 06:51 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

In my opinion, 20s on a first gen are fugly. 18s is as big as I'd go.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
ditto, but its just opinion
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Not only that, but it lessens perfomance as well, but I have given up on that argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode