Team Camaro Tech banner

Mechanical fuel pump install HEEEELP!

769 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mikestr 
#1 ·
I just removed my old stock fuel pump and I am installing a new Holley one. The problem is, when I place it in the spot it does not go all the way in. The "pressure arm?" blocks me from placing flush against the block to insert the bold. What do I need to do to make this go in? I tried to apply pressure BUT, I am afraid that I am not installing it properly. HELP! Also any hints to intall the gasket?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Glue the gasket onto the pump with some spray adhesive. Crank the engine over until the pump actuator rod is as far back in the block as it will go (the low spot on the cam!). Make sure that the pump actuator rod is making contact with the pump arm. Push the pump against the block for all your worth while you get the bolts started. The springs are pretty stiff in the high performance mechanical pumps, that's part of what you paid for!!

[This message has been edited by PDQUICK (edited 02-07-2002).]

#4 ·
A great trick... after putting the engine on the flat spot (previous poster) Remove the bolt in front of the pump... (there are two there, the bolt you need is the top one)Push the pushrod all the way up with your finger and replace the bolt with a much longer one but only finger tight. This holds the rod in place for you while you get the pump on... make sure you replace the bolt when done, and i like to use a little sealant on it as well, as it will leak oil.

By spray adhesive the previous poster refered to high tack, which is available in a brush on, or spray.

other products are brush tack, by felpro, and felpro blue, also aviation form a gasket works well also (and looks and smells like BBQ sauce, but tastes like crap)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.