Team Camaro Tech banner

I'm finally starting the project

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Well after many years of seeing my 69 sit there feeling abandoned, I finally decided it was time to take the path to recovery. I picked up this project Many moons ago when I was a teen, and now all grown up have decided it was time to get off the couch and bring that baby to life.
I picked up a used 350 small block that was said to be in running condition, and to my non-mechanic eye looked ok. So for the first time ever I have broken down my very first engine down to bare block. What better way to learn what she's made of, if not from the heart of her.
Now I'm going to probably be needing plenty of advice and answers because like i said I'm no mechanic.
First question: why do I feel like I should bore the block bigger? I keep getting told I should.

I'm looking forward to being part of a great group of Camero Owners.

#2 ·
Welcome to Team Camaro, Ed - you will get pestered to post some pictures of your car!
To answer your question about overboring the block, it really depends on what condition it's in, and how worn it is - as it's a bare block now, you'll be able to check for wear and if in doubt, take it to a reputable machine shop and get them to check it for you. It may clean up with a hone, or it may require boring out. Did you mark the main caps according to their position before you pulled the engine apart?

#6 ·
Welcome, Ed. Look at the piston head for any oversize stamping.
Check the backside of the crankshaft and rod bearing shells for any stampings as to oversize or GM original size.
This would be a start to see if the engine has been rebuilt at some time in its previous life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.