Team Camaro Tech - View Single Post - 1969 firebird convertible with photos
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 17, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
tp_smith
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Re: 1969 firebird convertible with photos

Firebird Disassembly Part 1

I took over 150 photos of the car. I will need them when I start to reassemble the car. If anyone needs a photo how something is supposed to look, I probably have one.
I started taking the car apart. I think the driver door rear view mirror holes are different from a Camaro. Check the mirror door hole pattern before you buy used Firebird door to install it on a Camaro or vice versa.
[IMG]dfb 7 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had to take the seats out with a ½” impact wrench because of the rusted bolts. The cushion springs had surface rust but they were not broken.
[IMG]dfb 3 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The original owner was about 80 years old when he sold the car. I think one of his kids drove the car for a while. Someone cut holes in the back of the bucket seats and installed Realistic (Radio Shack) speakers that were made about 1978.
[IMG]dfb 16 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think some creature was living under the back seat. He liked to collect little round nuts that don’t grow where I live.
[IMG]dfb 4 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The window fuzzies are rotten.
[IMG]dfb 6 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I took many photos of the convertible top mechanism. This was the most intimidating part of the car for me.
[IMG]dfb 11 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 12 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 13 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 14 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 18 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 19 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 20 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I removed the convertible top as one complete assembly and stored it in the attic.
I removed the carpet. The floor has rust issues and holes that did not come from the factory. It had been repaired before with sheet metal and rivets. I did not anticipate the rockers being rusted out. Both rocker panels will have to be replaced.
[IMG]dfb 26 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 27 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 29 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 30 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

The windshield header molding is rusted. The windshield frame was ok. Look how tight the stainless steel trim is supposed to fit.
[IMG]dfb 36 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another nest was found behind the glove compartment.
[IMG]dfb 38 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]dfb 39 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

I laid a towel on the floor so the rust won’t give me lockjaw. I removed the dash, gauges, heater assembly.
[IMG]dfb 40 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Patrick

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome