Team Camaro Tech banner

Brown AC Wire

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  stope4Rev1 
#1 · (Edited)
The brown ac wire in my 68 Camaro gets too hot to touch when my ac is on. Not even sure how the wire insulation doesn't melt. It's that hot. Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? Diverter switch, thermal switch, lo blo, fan switch, fan itself?

#4 ·
I'm far from the smartest guy here, but for what it's worth ...

I have been working through my under dash (including heater) wiring quite a bit over the past few weeks.

That brown wire is the main power supply wire to your heat & A/C system from the fuse panel.

I don't know if that's helpful in any way (or maybe you were already aware), but it's what my diagrams show for 67,68 and 69.

#5 ·
Hi Eric
As Larry Said, that Wire should be Protected by the Fuse in the Main Panel.
Check the FUSE Installed for the Heat A/C, Should be a 25 Amp.
If its getting Hot, there is probably a Load too high more than a Short to Ground, that would Blow the Fuse or Melt the Wire.
Timmy

Attachments

#6 ·
O.k. Think I figured it out. I had disconnected the wires to the compressor. They were sitting on the fender with the exposed metal flat against the fender. I moved this and the heat in the brown wire has disappeared. At same time, I also went and disconnected and reconnected all the wires to the various switches and relays. I guess that could have played a role but I doubt it. I'll keep an eye on the wire and see if it gets hot again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.