Team Camaro Tech banner

Need encouragement- R/R dash wire harness

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  french69ssrs 
#1 ·
I'm about to tackle replacement of my dash wiring harness on my 69 -
I actually bought the AAW 'Factory Fit' harness over 2 years ago, but I've been dreading this job so much that I kept putting it off...

Well now is the time... the car is a manual, no A/C, no console(no factory gauges) just idiot lights, so it shouldn't be too bad... RIGHT?

Any advice, tips, and/or words of encouragement are appreciated.

Questions:
Should I start at the fuse panel?
Should I remove entire old harness first?

I've already replaced all harnesses from the dash back to the taillights.

Thanks.

#3 ·
The only recommendation I have for this project (and any other project that would require ones memory to recall how items were positioned) is to take a lot of digital photos of the areas you will be working on before removing anything. Take some additional digital photos during the removal process to help remind you of things. An additional lighting source (drop light, clamp light, etc) is also helpful to brighten the areas you are photographing. Taking some written notes is also helpful.

There is nothing worse than to be halfway into a project, then have to recall how something was positioned by memory alone (.... were those wires running over or under the steering column?).

Reactions: BRICO69
#5 ·
Just take your time and use some masking tape to label the new harness as you remove the old. It will help you to put the new one back in.

#6 ·
Take pictures before you begin,label every connection as you remove them, take your time, walk away if you have to, drink beer and resume! I did it in my 69 years ago. It's not too bad. The new replacement harnesses are very well made and pretty much fall into place. It can be frustrating and uncomfortable laying on you back for hours trying to get it done. As I said, don't be afraid to take a break and walk away for an hour.

#13 ·
X10 !

Like Matt Suggested, TAKE PICTURES, Allot.

You can see where Wire Groups or Harnesses are Routed, In Front of a Clip, Behind a Support. How the Factory "Bend Straps" Wrap around, Where the Grounds go, Now is the Time to Add Air Conditioning Too !

I reconditioned and "Rebuilt" my Factory Harness, I have the Console Gauges so I added the Oil Idiot Light Circuit to my Harness, and some other Goodies. I wished I had run a few Extra Wires from the Console Area to the Engine Compartment, now I would like to add Exhaust Cut Outs !

I posted to this link, has some good Pics and Info.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/19-electrical-wiring/349881-wiring-help.html
And look into what MAD Electronics out of CA can do for your Electrical and Charging System before you get too far.

Good Luck
Timmy

Attachments

#8 ·
Do yourself a favor and pull the dash cluster.

Pull the glove box, dash pad, drop the column and pull the cluster.

Will make it way easier to install the new wiring harness and neatly route everything.

#9 ·
Do yourself a favor and pull the dash cluster.

Pull the glove box, dash pad, drop the column and pull the cluster.

Will make it way easier to install the new wiring harness and neatly route everything.

What he said. It really isn't that bad. The wires extend in length to where they should go and the connections will only connect to one thing.

#12 ·
Removing the dashpad is very easy (a couple of screws) and it will definitely help with visibility of the workspace under the dash. I removed the fusebox, installed the new one then fished everything over all the way to the glovebox. Then I started with the glovebox light and just worked my way back removing the old connector and connecting the new one. It was very easy, very straight forward. I would say 4 hours is a good estimate to do it by yourself with several beer breaks. With 2 people it took us maybe an hour. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.