Team Camaro Tech banner

Flasher switch mechanism 1967 Camaro

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  69-Pace 
#1 ·
Here is what I have for a problem. :crying:

DSC_1742 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

While working around the dash a while back I snapped the lever right off the column.

I have not taken the steering wheel off to visually identify the internal part and am hoping someone here has the experience to tell me what internal part I need to purchase.

Clearly the wiring should be ok, it's just the plastic mechanism piece. In the catalog there are few variations on the internal assemblies and parts.

Any easy guidance for me on this? :smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Your gonna need the entire turn signal switch unless you can part another one out. The flasher part of the switch should be easily swapped out.

#3 ·
After looking at some enlarged PICs of the entire switch all the wiring seems to go into or directly under this black plastic piece.

If the wires do indeed connect into this black plastic piece I broke it would seem as you say … an entire switch is going to be needed.

#8 ·
I'm back to this problem folks. Over the past eight months I have simply ignored it and moved forward with other things.

Here is the question today:

In doing some reading it seems there are some real poor quality replacements out there for this switch

AND

I see an eight pin and a nine pin version.

I am thinking the eight/nine pin thing might have to do with column shift vs floor shift … but I am not certain.

My car is a 67 with four speed on the floor.

Can anyone give me some guidance on these two situations before I start shelling out money for either the wrong or an inferior replacement part?

Guidance appreciated.

#9 ·
I'd pull the dash panel and verify which one (8 or 9 pin) you currently have.
Simple way is count the number of wires on the harness. The colors on a new one will be close, but one or two may be substituted if you put them in accordingly.
The replacements likely won't have the connector already installed, which will possibly allow you to snake the wires through the column easier. I personally disassembled the upper column to clean up the upper column bearing, springs and locking plate.
You can still find an ac delco from various websites, or use one from a reputable restoration house.
I just did mine and it was pretty easy to swap. About 50.00, but clean and no cracks in the signal cam to worry about either as opposed to just trying to replace the flasher piece.

#10 · (Edited)
As stated you may need to tinker a bit installing the harness and may need to adjust the "Harmonica". The Corvette restoration and reproduction switches seem to be thicker mil plastic housings and don't feel like cellophane in your palm. They also sound healthier and not so cheap. And the orange Boyne style still has metal threaded sleeve where the turn signal lever screws into, not plastic.

These are 8 pin switches, but some have 9 pins on the half circle "harmonica" making them "universal transmission" units with the gray wire that can be "removed" on the harmonica for vehicles with column shifted transmissions. Floor shift use 8/8 if I'm remembering right.

There are also "universal connector" that are actually the 69 - 74 straight harmonica connector and either include or require an adapter that converts to the half circle harmonica connector for 67-68.

Depending on plant of assembly most original switches were AC/DELCO - white-ish with a triangle looking turn cancelling cam or Boyne - orange plastic that has "fingers that cancel the turn. The Boyne has the horn contact at the lower and AC/DELCO style it on the top right. Note that GM Service part replacements tended to be generic black. I prefer the recent AC/DELCO units at the moment. They feel "right" for both turn and flasher function but I'm weird like that.

Early 67's had the longer chrome knob so that would be original if your 67 is "early".

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.