Team Camaro Tech banner

verifying DZ 302

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  68camaroz28 
#1 ·
I have a 69 Z-28 that I bought in 1987 from a friend. I was told at the time that it was the orginal motor but it had different heards and intake. It had be rebuilt with a different intake, carb, heads and cam. The motor had been decked before and I cannot see all of the numbers. The casting number is 3970010. The serial number on the front of the block that I can make out is CEOA487.
Can anyone help me determine if this is the orginal 302? I am also not sure what heads are on it. They are a double hump 202 head with the casting number of 3782461.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

#3 ·
Andrew is correct. It is a replacement engine. Over on the Chevelle site I was told "CE" stood for Chevrolet Engine. I have always called it counter exchange as well. I didn't argue it, because we all know what the engine is. The heads should have accessory holes. They look a lot like a 305 casting , except the humps are larger. Sorry the engine is not original to the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.