Team Camaro Tech banner

Pertronix vs Beakerless Points Conversions

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SoCal805 
#1 · (Edited)
I often see discussion of the Pertronix points conversions and their wiring needs. Two wires route out of the distributor plus it needs a dedicated 12v power source.

On my car I used the unit from Beakerless Ignition. A benefit is single wire connection, just like points, with a clean and original appearance under the hood. No 12v connection is needed.

I can rev to 7k RPM (very infrequently, but I've done it) with no hesitation or skipping and the engine runs smooth. Is it because Pertronix advertises and you don't know the Breakerless design is an option?

Let's discuss.

Breakerless Ignition
https://pertronix.com/electronic-ignition-conversions-test.html

The details of the Breakerless unit are midway down this page: https://www.lectriclimited.com/conversions-modifications/

#3 ·
I've not heard of the "Breakerless" brand.

But Pertronix is a well-known. I've done two of them. The first was in our '53 Ford Crestline. All original. I finished it three years ago after 9 years of blood, sweat, and tears. It's original; the engine, trans, distributor, interior...everything. It's been running the Pertronix for 3 years with not as much as a hiccup.

The most recent, in our '68 'vert. It sat for 32 years. Pertronix went in it and I've never looked back. As per instructions, to get the hall coil gap right, I did put one little shim in the distributor but probably didn't need to. But is was easy to do.

It uses your original distrib, weights, etc, you simply remove the points, install the Pertronix items, wire it by running the 12-volt constant along the backside of the nearby main harness and into the cabin(extremely easy and well described in instructions), put your original distributor cap back on, and no one is any to the wiser. 100% stock look.
You can get the Flamethrower coil(to compliment the Pertronix ignition box) that looks like a stock coil also.

5 of my buddies all run Pertronix, some just the module, a couple the entire distributor. All of us have had zero issues with installation or operation.

#4 ·
In reading the Breakerless 411 it says to "keep" the stock resistance wire. Appears it has a operating VDC range of 6-12 vdc. The stock resistance wire would normally knock vdc down to around 9ish vdc which for the Pretronix is not ideal but they still work.

I did chose to run a dedicated non resistance +12v wire to it though (per Pertronix instructions). I do not care that there is 2 wires vs 1 to hook up the distributor. My stock white wire is just taped back into the stock wire harness should I or a new owner ever chose to revert back to points or even get the Breakerless unit

2nd car I have put a Pertronix on so I am familiar with them and they have always performed perfectly for me. YMMV.

Pretronix can also be installed without pulling distributor but its install instructions have you measuring the gap between digital unit and plate. IDK if the Breakerless has a gap range to obtain. "If" that gap is to narrow at any point you would need to pull distributor, knock pin out from distributor gear and add 1 or more shims provided in the Pertronix kit to get the gap within spec. My 70 Nova 350 required no shim. My 67 Camaro 327 did. Either way I just pulled distributor so I could more easily install the kit on bench vs leaning over the car.

Regardless of product, IMHO go electronic ignition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.