Team Camaro Tech - View Single Post - Headers for BBC in 67?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 19, 12:15 PM
57vette
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Headers for BBC in 67?

I decided to bite the bullet and use Hooker Competitions in my car. Got a great deal on them since they were brand new and only used for mock-up, never fired up, and the guy went in a different direction. They came with a small "dent" where the 3rd tube kisses the corner of the PS box. I think I have maybe 1/8" clearance... if that LOL. I used Moroso motor mount shims to lift the engine maybe 1/4" and nothing hits. My PS box is a Saginaw '96 JGC and supposedly the '87 and later boxes are 1/8 wider but I never measured the original.

It seems that all the headers with that tube going up and around are more expensive, and I think the Hooker Super Competition models do that. Lemon headers are very nice but by time you buy the headers and have them coated, you're well over $2K. I've seen Timmy's car up close and personal a few times, and his Doug's headers do basically the same thing the Lemons do at far less expense. My headers have 2" primary tubes and a 3.5" collector, and my car's a '69 with a 461 BBC. The headers route back into a 3" SS PYPES exhaust and Magnaflows with 3" all the way back to the polished tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hookers-Installed-00.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	225873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Header-CutoutsSz-00.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	225875  

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome