Team Camaro Tech banner

68 camaro wheel size

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dannyz68 
#1 ·
Hi my names danny im new here im working on building a 68 camaro and i have a 9 inch thats narrowed 4 inches and im not mini tubing my car and i was wondering what wheel and tire size i can run with 18 inch wheels im kinda going for the deep lip look i wanna get it as deep as possible with the narrowed rear without mini tubing the car:beers:

#2 ·
Let's assume your car is going to sit a bit lower than stock or at least not have the rear end jacked up 70's style... From there a 275/40/17 or 275/35/18 tire is about as wide as you'll fit without a mini-tub. With a factory rear end, a 9.5" wheel with+6 offset (5.5" backspacing) centers the wheel and tire about as good as it gets. You need to figure the difference in your narrowed 9" and adjust the offset (backspacing) to account for the difference.

#3 ·
Not the exact application as your 68 but I have a 69 with 10 bolt rear end. It is lowered 3.5 inches. I am running 18x9.5 with 5.5 back spacing. I had to shave off about 1/4 inch of the fender lips.

With your shortened rear end you can probably run 10 wheels.

With my set up I had to modified my shock mounts as they were rubbing on the inner wheel.

#5 ·
thank for the reply dennis and ty thanks for the pics i really like your car thats about the same style of wheel im wantin to run i think i probably should run the 9.5 wide wheel just unsure on the backspacing with my rear end being narrowed 2 inches on each side i was hoping to get more of the deep look with it being narrowed i figure i should be able to fit a nice deep lip wheel that way

#6 ·
sorry also im unsure of lowering the car yet eventually i would like to lower it a bit in the rear just tryin to piece together what would be the best set up i really like the lowered look i just wanna make sure i get it all right the first time so im happy with the look i achieve

#7 ·
danny, there is a great wheel and tire thread under the fourm tab. Lots of pics and specs on wheels, tires and mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.