Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
Big Block in a '67

Hey Dudes,

Okay so - continuing the generation of tasks and parts for my '67 - I am trying to determine a couple of things... (and yes they are DUH questions...)

Will the 427 fit under the hood with the original style performer manifold and carb? I'll actually have the stinger hood so I will have another inch or so but I am concerned cause I see disclaimers on a lot of sites about not fitting a '67 hood.

There's a lot of talk of motor mounts and subframes. As this is the first Camaro I have done, when I yenko out (get it - yenko? I kill myself! ) the 350 that is currently in it, other than other bolt-in motor mounts - are there any other mods needed for the 427? I don't remember seeing anything about welding until the Aussie guy's right hand drive thread. Any info?

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Re: Big Block in a '67

do u have a flat hood or a cowl? Cowl hoods the top of the breathe will sit right at the cowl underneath. as for the big block all u need is motor mounts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts01ES View Post
do u have a flat hood or a cowl? Cowl hoods the top of the breathe will sit right at the cowl underneath. as for the big block all u need is motor mounts.
I'll have the stinger fiberglass hood that was an option on 67 Yenkos. Should give me another inch or so...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, you will need to change the bolt-on engine frame stands. The motor mounts are the part that bolt to the block itself.

Lots of info to search on here. try terms like "frame stand", "big block swap", etc.

You will also need a different transmission crossmember, depending on what's in the car now and what trans you want to use. Holes on the trans cross are offset to the passenger side to accomodate the shift of the engine in the same direction.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech

My 68 was originally a 350 car and now has a 427 with Performer RPM manifold and Speed Demon carb. (not very correct, I know but at least I milled the Edelbrock markings off the manifold and heads) It will fit under your hood if you change the motor mounts but it is close! My Demon carb will not allow the use of the stock big block air cleaner base but with a Holley you should be OK. That stock air cleaner base sits lower around the carb than any aftermarket ones that I have seen. If anyone knows of a base that will sit low over a Demon, I would love to hear about it. I have had to go with a 2" high air filter rather than the stock filter.
The heater hoses on a small block car enter the firewall tightly beside the passenger side of the engine. On a big block car they are at the center of the heater box.
I used Hooker headers and they fit very nicely but my former headers (I think they were Hedman) had to be modified to fit around the steering box.
If you have power brakes, the valve covers will have to be short to fit under the edge of the brake booster. The stock style valve covers are fine. Most roller rockers will not fit under the stock valve covers but I used Magnum roller tip rockers and they fit OK)
You will probably have to go with a big block fan shroud because the big block motor mounts will position your engine off center slightly and the fan may hit the small block shroud.
That's all I can think of for now. Have fun.
Grant
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Also if you have a 4 speed you will need a BB Z bar for the clutch.
Its a little longer to make up the offset motor mounts.
The hood fitment depends on the Intake air cleaner combo.
Hi rise single plane vs a short duel plane intake
A Duel plane with a drop base air cleaner is the ticket I think.
And a larger radiator.
The shift to the pass side lets the rocker covers clear the brake booster and make room for exhaust around the steering box.

Trick1 68rs 454 4sp 12blt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Also think about the weight of a BBC vs the original 350.You will need to change the coil springs (front suspension) to BBC rated springs. Jim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 11:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Your throttle linkage may or may not have to be changed or modded depending on manifold/and carb setup.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode