Blown Timing Chain - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile Blown Timing Chain

Well... I solved the noisy harmonic balancer problem to uncover yet another "issue".

Following warm-up with the new balancer, I could not resist a full throttle run. I did not make out of first gear when I head a dreadful noise and lost power. I discovered a mess... the timing chain had erupted through the timing chain cover.

Aside from the obvious chain malfunction, could I have introduced some sort of problem when I installed the new balancer? I used an installation tool and all went together rather well.

Also, is there any danger of piston to valve interferences during the meltdown? What are my chances of just replacing the chain and cover and it will work well once again?

Thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 09:25 AM
Banned

Re: Blown Timing Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardfan16 View Post
Well... I solved the noisy harmonic balancer problem to uncover yet another "issue".

Following warm-up with the new balancer, I could not resist a full throttle run. I did not make out of first gear when I head a dreadful noise and lost power. I discovered a mess... the timing chain had erupted through the timing chain cover.

Aside from the obvious chain malfunction, could I have introduced some sort of problem when I installed the new balancer? I used an installation tool and all went together rather well.

Also, is there any danger of piston to valve interferences during the meltdown? What are my chances of just replacing the chain and cover and it will work well once again?

Thanks for the help...
Wit out a doubt there will be some bent valves and damaged pistons and maybre some distorted cylinder walls here and there.

What Timing set up was you using??
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

In my opinion it is time for a rebuild.

Larger Dave

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 12:38 PM

Hope your valves just kissed your pistons...

pdq67

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The timing chain was a Cloyes double roller.

I will take a shot at removing the timing chain cover and determine if more damage is evident. Also, I will remove the valve covers and check springs and valve movement while turning the cam gear by hand.

I will probably do an engine replacement with a 383 but for now enjoying the trouble shooting and repair work in my spare time.

BTW... the engine seems to turn over rather easily. I noticed while removing the damper bolt I had to put the car in gear to stop the rotation.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 12:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardfan16 View Post
The timing chain was a Cloyes double roller.

I will take a shot at removing the timing chain cover and determine if more damage is evident. Also, I will remove the valve covers and check springs and valve movement while turning the cam gear by hand.

I will probably do an engine replacement with a 383 but for now enjoying the trouble shooting and repair work in my spare time.

BTW... the engine seems to turn over rather easily. I noticed while removing the damper bolt I had to put the car in gear to stop the rotation.
I've never seen one of those chains break on their own, will be interesting to see what you find when you pull the cover off.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 01:58 PM
Banned

Before you go to far back the valves off and do a leak down test as this will save you a lot of wasted time if there is a problem.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 02:05 PM

didnt like EVERYONE tell you to look into the chain???lol...sorry...anyway, its turning over easily because theres no compression in the cylinders whose valves are currently open when they should be closed...maybe you lucked out and it only jumped time...doubt it, but hope springs eternal...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I wonder if the chain broke because of being at its stree limit due to the new balancer either not absorbing vibration or transferring it to the chain along with the load from the valvetrain already on the chain?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

You found the woodruff key to be missing or damaged from the balancer, right?
Maybe the key for the crank sproket was also missing or damaged.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 05:39 PM

or maybe a piece of the key went into the chain between it and the gears
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I completed the cover removal and inspection. It looks like a piece of the old woodruff key caused the chain to implode.

I may try a new chain and cover or bite the bullet and do a total re-build...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 02:55 PM

you can save alot of time and loosten up all the valves, and then pressurize the cylinders with a cheap compression guage with the valve taken out of the end...you will get some air escaping even with valves that are not bent, but the difference between bent and not bent is huge...pressurize the cylinder and then hit the top of each valve squarely with a rubber mallet...u should hear a huge rush of air...if not, then the valves in that cyl are fragged...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a compression tester. Couldn't I use that to determine if there is any valve damage?
I.e: Make sure the valves are closed and rotate the crank...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you undo the valve adjustment and back off the nuts totally, yes. Otherwise, leaving cam in place with rocker arms tight, some valves will be open and bent valves will happen.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode