Hard to start - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Hard to start

Have a 1969 with a 350. Points dist and Quadrajet 4 barrel. The longer it sits in the garage without starting, the harder it is to start. Whats the secret? Do I pump the accelerator rapid....pump it slow....hold it down when cranking...pump the accelerator before turning the key. I think I have tried it all and still do not have the right combination to getting this cold beast started. No electic choke by the way. Once it warms up it starts on the first revolution.
It is embarrassing to show the car off when it has not been started. I usually tell people to call first and sneak in the garage to get it started before they arrive.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 11:18 AM

Re: Hard to start

i had that problem with a qjet in my truck...seems the screws in the bottom of the carb loostened up and allowed the fuel to drain out of it...it would do this if it sat for more than 1 day, but i`ve heard of the same prob worse than mine where it would bleed down faster...when it has sat for a while, take the air cleaner off and pump the carb by hand while looking down the throttle bores to see if the accelerator pump is working before you turn the car over...this will tell you if theres fuel in the carb...hope this helped...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check kustom's suggestions. If fuel, and no choke plate, then yes, pump several times, 3-5 times, leave pedal closed or just off idle.

Once it starts, then high idle it for about two minutes, then it should run by itself. Stock set-up on Q-jet, I believe, is a divorced choke, meaning a coil mounted on the intake and linkage to the choke plate. Same linkage also set high idle cam to fast idle engine, 1300-1500 rpms.

Is set-up has electric choke, then it needs ign supplied voltage to run, not from the points supply wire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 07:19 PM
Team Member
John

If you don't see fuel from the accelerator pump when it's been sitting for a few days, the float bowl is empty (probable leakage from the bowl plugs into the intake manifold); when you pull the oil dipstick, do you smell gas in the oil?

JohnZ
CRG
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 08:45 PM
Bill

Gary,
How long are you talking about it sitting ? A few days ? A few weeks ? The gas does evaporate out of the carrb after a while. If it sits a few weeks it is not at all unusual to have to crank it a while to get some gas up to the carb, then pump it a couple of times, maybe crank some more .... not at all out of the normal. You say it does not have an electric choke .... is it a divorced choke with the rod to the spring in the manifold ? Does it have a choke at all ? Is it working ? The choke should close completely when you first pump the gas to the floor when it is cold.

If it has the problem after sitting for just a few days, the primary or secondary well plugs in the bottom of the q-jet are probably leaking ... another common problem. Anyone that has done more than a couple of Q-jets should be able to fix it for you. Basically you take the carb apart, clean off the bottoms of the well plugs, stake them back in place with a small hammer and punch, then epoxy over them to hopefully solve the problem for good.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode