machanical fuel pump - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

machanical fuel pump

I am looking for someone that has used a carter 170gph machanical fuel pump

I'm getting ready to redo my fuel system and I was woundering if the carter 170 gph machanical fuel pump has any fitment problems in a 69 camaro with a 350 sbc.The carter 170gph pump looks very large in size.does this pump hit the chassis? or any other problems!!
__________________________________________________ __
Thanks
Dan

69 coupe, 350 crate motor/Th350c trans with 2.75 low first gear--2500 lock-up converter
Not a show car, just a part time Driver!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
luke

Re: machanical fuel pump

i've got a holley 170 gph in my 69 with a big block. i don't know about the carters but on my holley the bottom half can be unscrewed and rotated to point the inlet and outlet whatever direction you want. i'd imagine you won't have any problems with one on a small block.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Mel

I'm using a Carter mechanical pump, it has female 1/4" NPT outlets in which you need to use a male 1/4" NPT to 3/8" or universal nipple for the rubber line on the inlet side and the same for the outlet side, (unless, like me,you run a 3/8" hard line then you need a 1/4" NPT to a 3/8" Inverted flare. You can bend the line yourself and flare it, aluminum is easier to work with than steel).
But the Carter also allows you to unscrew the bottom to rotate the bottom of the housing and point the outlets where needed for correct alignment with fuel lines and no fitment problems with chasis. Provides about 6-8 psi.

Mel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.

Last edited by melav8r; Feb 7th, 07 at 12:20 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I am running a Barry Grant superspeedway mech., which is pretty much the exact same thing, and it has plenty of room all around. Even using larger -8 An fittings.
Ditto on the abilty to "clock" the bottom of the pump to suit your needs with the BG.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Tried one here and the lower clockable half was still too large , as the lower half hit the frame. Went to Edlebrock with a smaller id lower clockable half and cleared . Be careful using hi psi pumps with out going to brass tipped push rods. After a few hundred miles, I had to go carter electric as my fuel pump lobe said goodbye on my hydra roller.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode