ceramic coated headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

ceramic coated headers

I have a ZZ383 we are going to be installing soon. With the roller cam I was wondering if it will be ok to break the motor in on my Hooker super comp ceramic coated headers?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 05:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: ceramic coated headers

that would be perfectly fine, although, there may be a little smoke, ceramic should be just fine.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I been kinda worried about it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 06:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Just make sure you get the timing set right away, too many breakin problems are caused by retarded timing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 06:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Well , IF you had an extra set of used headers , I would use them for break in,,, Read the directions with headers, I think most cermanic vendors use caution when breaking in a motor with cermanic coated headers.

No offense Harley. Just what I read.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

No offense taken Don.
I knew about the caution, however I have never experienced any problems, then or later.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've always used the headers I will run, too. But I never get stuck in the drivers seat playing with the throttle trying to keep her running either. Get someone else to turn the key, you belong in the motor, where you can get her tweaked right asap.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I once installed new coated hookers, then rebuilt my carb. Tuned it after the carb rebuild and was idling too lean, and the headers got too hot. Bye bye new headers, hello discoloration. That was spring 04. I'll send them back soon for a new coating (3-year guarantee). ;-)

68 Z/28, grotto blue, protect-o-plate
67 plain jane survivor, deep water blue, protect-o-plate
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

If you're running a roller cam there is very little to break-in so your headers will be fine. With a flat tappet cam (hyd or solid) you would need to run it for 20 minutes at 2,000 rpms. Not needed with a roller cam and the rings will seat shortly after you fire it up.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode