valve cover breather leaking oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

valve cover breather leaking oil

I have a 68 Camaro with a sb 400. It has a working pvc on the pass. side and a breather/oil fill on the driver's side. When I drive the car for any distance, oil leaks from the breather. I have installed a new baffled grommet, but oil still leaks out. My rpms are running around 2600 at 70mph. Any suggestions or ideas ? Thanks in advance>........Maro68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Re: valve cover breather leaking oil

Does the breather fit snug into the grommet? I have had some breathers that were poorly made and didn't fit as snug as I would have liked which caused some leakage.. The other problem you might have which would cause this is poorly manufactured valve covers that do not have a baffle below the hole causing the valves tho throw oil up... quite frankly there should be very little oil making its way to that grommet if the valve cover is manufactured properly.

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 09:39 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

With the PCV valve in the drivers side cover the air flow through the engine should be from the breather on the pass side cover through the crankcase and out the pcv to the base of the carb.

Other than splash (stopped by baffle or that baffle gromet you installed) you should not be seeing oil in the breather. Either you have a plugged or wrong PCV valve, very little vacuum or your engine is very tired causing what is called blow by...

Kyle - many high dollar valve covers don't come with baffles and typically are not drilled for breathers. You are correct though that there are some low dollar chrome and alum covers that have 1 or 2 holes manufactured in them and no baffle. Still should only be a problem on the driver side...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I fought a similar problem for years... and learned a lot from experimenting and asking questions here.

The best "street" valve covers have the grommet hole located "in between cylinders" that is, in the gap between the first the first 2 intake valves.
These valve covers will usually have a sheet metal baffle that extends down to near the bottom of the cover.

Valve covers that have the hole right over the first pair of rockers are going to be a problem no matter what you do.

In my case, I eventually found excessive blowby was due to shattered compression rings on #2.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.......The grommet is new a has a tight fit. I'll check to make sure there is a baffle in the cover. These chrome covers are cheap ones and have been on the car 4-5 years when the engine was rebuilt. Dennis, are you saying I need to swap positions with the pcv and breather tube to see if that helps?? Thanks again, I knew I could count on help here......
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 11:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Davie - The natural flow of air through the engine is, in through the pass side and out the driver side. I picked up on the way you have it and then completely ignored it in my reply... Doh!

Yes, put the PCV valve in the drivers side and the breather on the pass side... Put a baffle or baffle gromet on under the PCV valve to reduce any oil being sucked into it and don't worry about the breather side...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Yeah i was hoping to avoid the ever sad discussion of blow-by which of course means a rebuild is inevitable. Lets hope for the best

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, again, Dennis and Kyle. I'll swap sides with the pvc and breather and if it IS blow-by...... a "CRATE" may be in the not too distant future!!!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

I used a trick I found while searching one day here on TC. I took an old sock, cut the end of it out, rolled it up and placed it between the breather and the valve cover. Can't really notice it on the engine, and no more leakage. Now, it is leaking from other places, and hopefully the cam swap/gasket replacement will fix all of that.

The sock trick works, and I have seen it on other cars as well.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
I used a trick I found while searching one day here on TC. I took an old sock, cut the end of it out, rolled it up and placed it between the breather and the valve cover. Can't really notice it on the engine, and no more leakage. Now, it is leaking from other places, and hopefully the cam swap/gasket replacement will fix all of that.

I was also going to suggest this, I did this back in the 70's and 80's ...be creative put a red sock on a red car etc.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

I dont know about anyone else but i use valve covers with very tight baffles and they work good...BUT..it takes me about 4 days to fill it up with oil when i do an oil change. Those baffles dont let the oil run in very fast.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post

I don't understand. How do you place it in there without it being noticed?
I'm having a difficult time picturing this. Its between the breather and the VC?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

those little fuzzy bands that girls put there pony tails in work good too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I don't understand. How do you place it in there without it being noticed?
I'm having a difficult time picturing this. Its between the breather and the VC?

You can see it, but it isn't such a big deal as to draw your attention right to it. In other words, it beats the hell out of having oil blowing all over the place.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I'll try the sock trick, too. Why didn't I think of that???? What a forum!!!!! Thanks Craig, for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode