WTF is a Tall Black??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
WTF is a Tall Black???

I have been looking at blocks and short blocks for my 427 and I don't seem to understand the Tall Block term and am wondering what deck height would be best and what the impacts are.

THanks,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: WTF is a Tall Black???

he is a football or basketball player!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS_Bill View Post
I have been looking at blocks and short blocks for my 427 and I don't seem to understand the Tall Block term and am wondering what deck height would be best and what the impacts are.

THanks,

Bill
a tall deck big block is .400" taller which will require a different distributor and intake manifold, or manifold spacers. Generally it's best to stick with the standard 9.8" deck height big blocks as hood clearance is at a premium to begin with on a first gen Camaro, and the tall deck makes it that much worse. You can build very large cubic inches with the standard deck height.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Deck height is the distance from the crank centerline to the deck of the block (where the heads bolt on). A passenger/standard block measures 9.8" (9.780" if you zero deck it) and a tall deck is 10.2" (10.180" at zero deck). Tall deck blocks are all 4-bolt mains. They were developed to accommodate the 4-ring piston that was run in truck engines. I understand the thought was that since truck and industrial stuff is generally loaded harder than passenger engines, they needed the extra ring for durability.
At any rate, stick with passenger deck blocks unless you're forced to the tall deck stuff. There are a lot more selections for rods, pistons, intakes, etc. for the 9.8 configuration than 10.2

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 05:56 PM

And Mark IV TALL deck blocks are only 366" and 427" sizes!! NO 454's!

They were used in what is known as the "heavy-duty" BIG truck applications, you know, dump trucks and such workhorses....

pdq67

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The easiest recognizable difference between the two blocks is to look at the distance from the upper most water pump bolt hole to the deck.

Short deck blocks have 3/8 to 1/2 inch of block.
Tall blocks have 3/4 to 1 inch of block.

I think.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
he is a football or basketball player!

lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill

HA! Sorry for the fat fingered subject.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 08:36 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
And Mark IV TALL deck blocks are only 366" and 427" sizes!! NO 454's!

They were used in what is known as the "heavy-duty" BIG truck applications, you know, dump trucks and such workhorses....

pdq67

There are 454 Mark IV Tall Deck Marine engines. The taller deck height means longer rod which makes more torque due to greater rod to stroke ration. Also most aftermarket Tall Deck intake manafold will take a standard Dist. And since the cylinders are at a 45 degree angle the engine height only increases about 1/4". There are lots of aftermarket parts for the tall deck and if you want to make serious power it is a good route to go. Expecially if you plan on buying high end parts anyways and have a 427/454 tall deck block handy.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 09:39 AM

I ain't getting into boat engines b/c of the possibility of them being corroded inside the waterjackets..

Or the Bowtie blocks b/c they aren't stock from the factory in our cars and trucks blocks..

pdq67

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Having built both types you are going to get a real argument from me about the benefits of a tall block.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 11:19 AM

Good or bad?

Please type away oger..

pdq67

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

Sorry I wasn't clear. The tall deck has no more room in the crankcase and the water jacket is in the same place so the ability to use long stroke cranks is no better. They definately are heavier and the .400 taller deck causes you to buy an awful lot of special parts for no real gain.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I built a 540 using a Bowtie "Tall Deck" block. The tall deck does make achieving monster cubes a whole lot easier. As has been mentioned, it also allows one to build a "long rod" motor for more piston dwell at TDC,and hence better rod/stroke ratio. Yes, the gains are minute,but I went for the TD so I did not need to bore the crud out of the block,instead relying on the 4.25 inch stroke and the "stock" 4.50 inch bore of the Bowtie block to achieve the 540. Yes, the block needs to be clearanced for the 4.25 crank,but so do most. The intake,distributor and exhaust are the three specialty areas when using the tall deck,the exhaust being the hairest to sort out. My car had custom exhaust anyway, so it really was not a major issue. If I had it to do over, I'd build a tall deck 632 cube version instead of the blown 540. The torque and power of a 500 cube plus blown rat has to be experienced to be believed. This one made roughly 850 hp on pump gas at only 5-6 lbs of boost. Easily a 1000 hp plus mill in street trim if pushed a bit.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Before the availability of a lot of good large bore stuff, (both GM and after market) the tall blocks were the **** as they had thicker bores and could be punched out more than standard blocks.

I see no benefit to using one now. Twenty five years ago, they were the hot item.

Fathom Green 69 DZ x77 Done soon if the Mastercard holds out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode