Calling all Engine Builders.... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Calling all Engine Builders....

I know that valve adjustment has been talked about ad nauseam, but I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.
I am finally getting back around to my car after about a year and a half, replaced the cam, lifters, & timing set. With the intake off I noticed that after the first time I depressed the lifter with a wrench, I could then adjust the lifter plunger by hand via the nut on the rocker. I could see exactly when the plunger began depressing. Following the adjustment sequence and tightening the nut until just before the plunger compressed, is it possible set zero lash visibily?? Then to set the preload by hand?? Or am I barking up the wrong tree...

Cheers

Kevin<P>68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 3.73 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:12 PM

Re: Calling all Engine Builders....

I sure dont want to be the one to say that the hyd. lifters have to be preloaded and the sequence be redone.Unless you build engines everyday[even these guys dont get it exact] you will have to re-adjust after run time. I had to re-adjust lifters every other month. I hammered the engine, even with 80 lbs of oil pressure
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

correct procedure is to ensure the lifter is on the base circle of the cam.
while spinning push rod When you feel resistance STOP, now you will adjust the nut down "Only" 1/8-1/2 turn. If you operate your engine a consistent high RPM, use the lighter setting (1/8 turn).
readjust after 200 miles as above and your fine after that.
need more info go here:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 04:33 PM
Team Member
John

For someone who doesn't do this every day, it's better to pull up and down on the pushrod to feel for zero lash than to do the "spin with your fingers" routine.

JohnZ
CRG
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I cant see how hard spinning could be?
light resistance is felt then your spot on.
I even got my 16 year old daughter to do it right?
Its not hard really it isnt.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 06:46 PM
Bill

Kevin,
Your method will work fine.

Joe,
I dont hink I have ever had to readjust a hydraulic lifter after the initial setup.

Harry,
Some lifters have springs that are so weak that is is very difficult to tell when you get to zero lash unless you are very experienced. That is why I also tell my customers to jiggle the pushrod up and down rather than spin it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is not that hard, I just mentioned an observation I made today and was curious from other members.
I have other problems anyways, when I drop in the distributor and turn the crank, the distributor does not spin at all. No oil pump or oil pump shaft in it, plus the distributor gear is new. What started all this was a ground down distributor gear. I am now at a total loss as to what it may be.

Kevin<P>68 Camaro SS - 383, Edlebrock Performer RPM, Trick Flow 23 degree heads, edlebrock 750cfm carb, dynomax headers, Tremec TKO, 3.73 Posi
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Kevin,
Your method will work fine.

Joe,
I dont hink I have ever had to readjust a hydraulic lifter after the initial setup.

Harry,
Some lifters have springs that are so weak that is is very difficult to tell when you get to zero lash unless you are very experienced. That is why I also tell my customers to jiggle the pushrod up and down rather than spin it.
you never rode with me!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 07:20 PM

and yes you do have to re-adjust when your cheap and dont buy new locks, the lock nut after used for a while seems to crawl off on some the valves, I cant say if new ones will do it also cause I never had them. I will in the next engine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 08:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you're cheap, buy new stock ones. Better yet, buy polylocks (on my list for some day)
Note buy your nuts at a dealer, not a parts store. I used 16 new nuts when I redid mine, and ended up putting 6 of the 40 year old ones back on cause some of the new ones wouldn't stay in place.

yes Joe, I said nuts, go ahead and giggle!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:56 PM

He, He!!

I love that the old spin the p/r's "feelie" method is being bantered about!!

Same way with lashing a solid cam idling!!

It's a "feelie" thing..

Imho, only way to do it right after she warms up!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode