Engine pulling virgin - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Engine pulling virgin

I am preparing to remove my 350 with 4 spd trans hooked and need a little advice. Having never done this before want to have my ducks in a row before I do this. It looks like I should remove all the shift linkage and shifter before hand since it looks like it will drag through the tunnel if not careful. What do you guys think? Also, does one lower the tail of the tranny while lifting the front of the engine to clear the cross member? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

68 coupe ,572,tko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Engine pulling virgin

David,
To be honest, unless you have the car way up in the air, pulling the engine with the trans attached is not good. After the drive shaft and exhaust is disconnected, just remove the shifter & linkage, unbolt the trans from the cross member and then jack up the bottom of the trans a little bit. Brace the rear of the engine.
Unbolt the cross member and move it back. Unbolt the four bolts holding the trans to the bell housing and then pull the trans back to clear the bell housing. Let it down. Now, you can get ready to pull the motor. Lets just assume that you have removed the battery, radiator, fan, hoses and fuel line, coil and starter wiring too

Kev
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvervet View Post
I am preparing to remove my 350 with 4 spd trans hooked and need a little advice. Having never done this before want to have my ducks in a row before I do this. It looks like I should remove all the shift linkage and shifter before hand since it looks like it will drag through the tunnel if not careful. What do you guys think? Also, does one lower the tail of the tranny while lifting the front of the engine to clear the cross member? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you have the radiator and radiator support off, along with everything else in front, you can take it right out through the front. If you do not (and I just did it this way), you will need to seperate the tranny from the engine. At least I don't think it is possible to do it together without removing the front end. Just make sure you have all grounding straps and wires disconnected before pulling it, along with all of the other stuff mentioned above.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
David

The front end is all taken out.....just the subframe and susension remains. Thanks for the info...looks like the trans linkage is coming off.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

u can always remove the front clip that will make it alot easier
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
chris

ive pulled and installed tranny/motor together with the front clip on with no problem. the main thing you need is the intake plate bracket, its about 15.00 at the parts house, it allows you to tilt the assy to the front or rear depending on need. it bolts to the intake, has three larger holes to choose from. jack the tranny up in the back and pull the crossmember, put tension on the hoist, then pull your frame mount bolts, the front mount is the best when pulling it will pull straight out.

67 RS
68 Under Full Resto
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I've had the engine and trans together in and out of my '68 at least a dozen times (@!$*&^ LS1 adapter plates that didn't fit right...), with the front clip installed. And my T56 is a couple of inches longer than a 4-speed. I had all four corners on jackstands. If you're worried about scratching stuff, you may want to pull them separately, or just make sure to pad the usual contact points (top front of the tunnel, radiator support, and crossmember). Go slow, and use a leveler thing so you can adjust the angle without setting the engine down to readjust chains. You'll have to go through a couple of iterations of adjusting the angle, lifting up, and moving the hoist back. You may need two people at some point--one pushing the engine forward while another one raises the hoist, but I've done it myself going really slow. It gets easy after the 2nd or 3rd time in a day .

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I use a load leveler like in Jon's pic above. It makes the whole operation a one man job.
You can leave the linkage on, but the stick has to come off.
The crossmember has to come off, as well as the radiator and the distributor.
She'll slide right out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 08:59 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Denvervet, I just went through the same thing last year, replaced my old ratty engine with a new crate engine. It's a good feeling doing it yourself, and this website is your best friend during the whole process.
Ps. if you decide to take the tranny out before the engine(thats what i did) watch out for crossmember digging into your chest when you drop the whole thing on yourself under the car , it's not heavy but it damn its tight under there

Jim
69 Plain Jane, Pennsylvania.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:48 PM
Team Member
Rob

I had the front clip off my car and tried pulling the 350 and attached M20 tranny out as one piece. But Kev, is correct ... Unless you have your car really high in the air, you not going to make. It's really not a big deal to separate the two - 4 bolts. In the end, I think it just makes the whole thing a lot easier to handle, move around and store when you have the 2 pulled apart. Once the motor is out, the trans is cake to slide out by itself.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:53 PM

If you pull everything together, just be sure and plug the tranny driveshaft hole b/c it will leak ATF or grease all over everywhere.

I like to pull it outside and then roll my car back inside b/c all the antifreeze and possible other fluids get left away from the floor that I will be crawling around on..

Quickly hose everything down outside to hold the mess to a min, imho..

And I keep several pieces of great big thick cardboard to lay on handy too..........

The best cardboard I've found is Furniture Store "Sofa" shipping packaging that I figure they will be glad to give you to haul off..

pdq67

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Engine pulling virgin

I just lost my cherry on pulling a motor. Label and bag every nut, bolt, wire, etc. My dad and I just pulled and replaced our first motor. What a nightmare. It was on a 85 chevy blazer. He pulled the top end. I pulled everything from the bottom. I, luckily, remembered where all my stuff went. He, on the other hand, just pulled and unplugged stuff. It's been 6 months and I'm still trying to get the top end buttoned up. I've used the wrong bolts in places. Some were even lost. Now I"m trying to find bolts that fit. Next time, I'll buy some sort of organizer so I can keep things straight. Good luck.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 05:04 PM

Talking Re: Engine pulling virgin

He, He!!

I remember when my Buddy Doc and I overhauled his old box Van's 307!!

I field stripped it first and just threw everything over in a corner of the van!!

Doc about had a fit b/c he had NO idea what was going on!!

Anyway, when I put it back together, I think I had one little bolt and lock washer left over that I figure was for a ground strap that was long gone..

Doc couldn't believe it..

And we lifted the short block out of it through the side door using a 2x4 stud and my short piece of engine pulling chain.... Doc did get a cherry picker to reinstall it tho b/c it was 100 percent back together so was too heavy for the two of us to grunt it back in using the 2x4 method..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode