Rebuild or Crate - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Wendy

Rebuild or Crate

I would like to solicit some opinions from you. My 327 has seen better days and I need get an engine. 2 bl carb. and original power glide trans. This engine is not matching, I purchased it rebuilt like circa 83-86? The co. I bought from usually bores them to 30 degrees. I am debating whether to get a new 350 crate motor from GM or have mine rebuilt. I even contacted Jasper Motor and they can't get me a fresh 327. I would rather have a new 327 but finding a fresh one since they stopped putting them in Camaro's after is not an easy task and I don't want to bore bigger therefore probably hotter. I know I will compromise the integrity of my car but eventually 327 will be extinct. Especially if I make someday to a 3rd engine replacement. I have original A/C and it pulls quite a bit of power and I think will run it hotter too. I could save mine and crate it up just in case. They won't exchange my core anyways as it is not the same. If I go 350, I will change intake and carb. but do I have to change anything else? This car has been my baby for 25 years, it is a hard decision. What do you think?

68' Camaro Coupe 350 "Red Hot"
700R4 Trans, 650 CFM Edelbrock Thunder Carb
and Performer Intake
2000 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Rebuild or Crate

I had a similar dilema. I had Z/28 with only 30,000 original miles with the oringinal engine. It had been hopped up with a huge cam and lifters. I purchased the original style cam and lifters and had them put in but it never really ran that good and was prone to running very hot. Since it was the oringinal engine I needed to keep it, and keep it stock as possible. A friend had a 68 350 that was not running too well and I picked it up for 275 complete. It had a 4 bolt main and it turned out it was just a broken valve spring. I had it dismantled and rebuilt with a mild hydraulic cam and since mine had all the original hardware and smog pumps I had them all put back on including the winters forge manifold and DZcarb. I put the other one in a shrink wrap for the next owner and I really only put about 1000 miles on the new motor. In the end it cost me close to 3000 Can. becaue I needed a different starter and I had the clutch and pressure plate replaced. I kept all the old parts. I guess what I am saying is if you can't get a motor worth rebuilding go with the 350 crate. I had thought about it but I had heard,(and didn't verify) that some of the older parts will not fit the new motors. You will have to clarify that. One thing I did get with the rebuilt motor was that I had her balanced and she ran like a top. When I eventually sold the Z I let both motors go in the deal and I wished I hadn't. It was a sweet running piece.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage
Re: Rebuild or Crate

Hi Wendy. I would definately look at picking up either a new crate or used 350 with a warranty. Depending on your final objective, you may also want to consider a full driveline replacement with a 350 motor, 350 trans & a 12 bolt rear end. Often, you can pick these up for not too much, although you would need to include the cost to rebuild/freshen them. Then again, if $ is no object, then go with a 383, 4/5 speed auto and the 12 bolt posi! The latter probably not a realistic option for most of us. Charlie

Hey Stewie, I definately have to see your garage of 69 Z's one of these days!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rebuild or Crate

You say that you want a fresh 327 so here's what I would do!!

Hunt up a good '64 to '66 283 block and bore her to 4.00" and then use your rods and crank and make stock bore 327!!

Usually, a 283 block shouldn't cost all that much b/c not many want to build little motors anymore..

I would balance her too..........

And I'm gathering parts for another old-school, junk301 motor now...

pdq67

PS., and if you are low on funds, I bet that you can even reuse your pistons too, (your complete rotating assembly), and NOT have to rebalance her if you don't mind boring the little 283 block out to 4.030" like your's is now.... They are basically just the same blocks as the 4.00" bore, 302" and 327" engine blocks, but only bored to the 3.875" stock 283" engine size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode