Can I get my air pump repaired? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Can I get my air pump repaired?

I have an 87 2.8L and the air pump pulley has gotten very loud. I was told at a performance store the bearing is inside the pump. I would either have to get a new pump or take it to a shop and have the bearing replaced.

Im wondering if this is a job i can do myself, or what else can i do to fix the bearing. Would removing the pump cause my o2 or cat to burn out premature.(pump works fine, but the pulley is noisy)

Thanks!
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 09:01 AM

Re: Can I get my air pump repaired?

See of you can't get a new pulley is all and R&R it. (OR is your's just loose after all these years??)...

You might have to go to a boneyard and buy a complete pumpand pulley so if you do, just swap yours out for one with a good pulley

pdq67

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 09:21 AM

deleteing the air pump could get you in trouble with the greenies at the emmissions station...the air pump promotes complete combustion of the unburnt fuels in the exhaust system at the catalytic converter...thats not to say the car wouldnt pass a sniffer test without it...but if the testing tech believes there should be an air pump in place, than there better be an air pump in place or you could fail big brothers test...these pumps are cheap at the junkyards though as they`re a common pump to many different cars and motors...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I was told the bearing is inside the pump and not in the pulley. But if i can change the pulley i will. What other motors carry the same pump, ill go to the scrap yard and try to find one.

Thanks!
Craig
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:24 AM

the local junkyard will be able to look this pump up in hollander, and give you a list of cars and motors that will fit your application exactly...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 05:30 PM
Bill

Craig,
A remanufactured pump is about $60 By the time you spend the gas to get to the scrap yard you will probably be better off getting a reman one and be done with it. You get a warranty too

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode