Can It Really Be Done!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Can It Really Be Done!!

HEY GUYS,

COULD I REALLY GET AWAY WITH SWAPPING MY 305 ENGINE IN MY 84 CAMARO Z28 WITH A 350 AND STILL PASS THE SMOG?? I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND SOME SAY I CANT DO THIS.. ARE THEY RIGHT?? WILL IT PASS THE VISUAL AND THE SNIFFER?? I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS SWAP. ANY FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Can It Really Be Done!!

If you do it right, probably yes.

Change only the shortblock. Better heads are an option. Go conservative on your cam choice. Put your entire top end from the 305 on it, everything that shows.

Consult with a good TPI place, I know of one that sells a lot of tpi hardware and reprogramming, but can't recall the name. You may have to change some detail stuff, injector size or fuel pressure, and will need to reprogram it.

Done right, carefully, by someone who knows how, it can work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:42 AM

84 isnt a tpi...they started in 86...the thing with cali is their emmissions laws...talk to a local speed shop, or maybe some of the guys on this site that are from cali,as they would know the ins and outs of big brothers sniffer shops...i think one of the dons is from cali...just lookin, and ask moderator djd...he`s from san jose...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

keep the engine pretty mild, and the smog police shouldn't know the difference.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 03:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I went through this in 1992 or was it 1993 (I forget) with my 1984 Z28 5.0 HO engine. At that time you could not find an emmissions legal 350 to bolt everything up to. So I replaced my 305 with another 305.

drclomen, you should be able to do this (350 to replace your 305). However you MUST and I do mean MUST make sure that you have the catalytic converter in place, the exhaust manifolds must be the correct ones. Since Camaro's came with ECM's (Electronic Control Modules aka Computers) begining in 1981 you want to make sure that the computer chip selected is emissions legal which will not make the car run too rich or possibly to lean. It can be done. Seek out advice from local experts in your area.

California emmission laws are the toughest in the country. NY is catching up. Illinois (Chicago, Cook County, Will County, DuPage etc) are tough but not like California.

As long as the visual stuff appears all there you will be ok...Just make sure that the stuff off the 305 bolts to the 350...You can always put a 350 TPI in it but then you will need the wiring harness, etc.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

I have never had a smog shop check numbers. Just make it look exactly like your 305 and I bet no one will say a thing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 05:34 PM
Bill

Daniel,
I did it with my 85 Blazer and never had a problem passing smog. I used everything off the 305 and put it right back on the 350 and it ran fine. Did not have to mess with the carb or anything. It was a mild 350 with a hydraulic roller cam. Had a bunch more power, but actually got the same or maybe even slightly better mileage !

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
If you do it right, probably yes.

Change only the shortblock. Better heads are an option. Go conservative on your cam choice. Put your entire top end from the 305 on it, everything that shows.

Consult with a good TPI place, I know of one that sells a lot of tpi hardware and reprogramming, but can't recall the name. You may have to change some detail stuff, injector size or fuel pressure, and will need to reprogram it.

Done right, carefully, by someone who knows how, it can work.
SO BASICALY YOUR SAYING TO BUY A 350 SHORT BLOCK AND PUT THE TOP END OF THE 305 ON IT?? WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN BY THE TOP END?? WOULD IT BE CHEAPER THIS WAY ??
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I was thinking Tuned Port Injection, a slightly newer car (and have deservedly been corrected.). Yours will be a q-jet, and an electronic one at that. Still, as the others pointed out, it can certainly be done.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 01:27 AM
Tech Team

best thing to do is get some info from the smog nazis... you are in so cal... they could flag the car and make all the work and $$$ you put into it null and void...

I used to do inspections and when ya see that the engine has been raplaced its pretty common to send the car to the state office to verify the casting numbers on the block among other things...

68 camaro... your tipical hipo 350... stl crnk... h beam rods full floating pistons mild cam, auto trans (wanting 700r4)... gears 3.73's... smokes tires lots of fun... also 87 IROC 305TPI 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode