BB Engine Build advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

BB Engine Build advice

Team, I have a 68 coupe with a fairly standard, iron headed 454 BB backed by a TH400. It is tired and using a fair amount of oil. I am about to commence a full rebuild of the car, and up till now, I had every intention of replacing the 454 with a new crate motor.

I have been looking on the forum for a while now, and I do not want to start another "build or buy" thread. I know what crate motor I would buy if I was to go down that path (and I still might) and I know what it would cost me.

What I would like to know is what your suggested combination would be for a good, budget conscious rebuild of my existing 454? I am looking for a real strong street cruiser that would run on pump gas and have just enough manners to drive every day, if need be. My aim is to have around 500 - 550HP or more. What camshaft, manifold, carb, etc.? What should I do with the heads, work them or replace them? Your advice will hopefully offer me an alternative to take to an engine builder so I can then compare "build or buy"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 09:28 AM

Re: BB Engine Build advice

A 496 will make 550 hp EASY. "Tow-truck" type grunt motor too, just what a street engine need's to be built like, imho.. Power curves peaking at 5500 and 4500 rpm like mild...

550 hp out of a 454/467 will tend to be "knarlier"!!

pdq67

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Why not go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM package? I have a 427 BB with the RPM intake and cam with a mild port and blend job on stock oval port heads. With Hooker Comp. headers and a 850 Mighty Demon it dynoed at 538 hp and 525 tq. More than enough for the street. I went with SRP forged pistons, stock forged crank and Eagle I beam rods. It is a two bolt 454 block with a 396 crank.You should be able to do it at a relatively reasonable cost but all the machine work adds up if you need it. Do a balance and blueprint for sure.

67 Camaro- 427BB, TKO 600, 3.55 12 bolt etc.etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies so far. How can I tell what I have to start with? Do engine numbers tell a story? What about the heads, are there numbers or markings that determine whether I have the right products to start with?

Also, there seems to be a bit of advice around stroking/de-stroking. What are the pros/cons?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I'm not trying to turn this into a "build or buy" thread either, but having built my 454 in Australia, where costs are considerably greater, I would strongly suggest getting a crate. It will be cheaper.

My 454 owes me a little less than AU$30K. I'll be dynoing it soon and am expecting around 700hp.
A ZZ572/720 is AU$21,500 (through Eagles or you'd get one through Amcap being in Perth.)
Do you see my point?
When I built my engine 10 years ago, AU$3K went to the machine shop to recondition a bunch of second hand parts.
A crate is all new and it has a warranty. That's pretty hard to beat.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 04:51 AM

I went with a 502 502 hp. 400 turbo trans 3.55 rear wanted a nice rider. its a fast car but i can still drive it. good luck
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Blackoutsteve, I understand exactly where you are coming from, but I feel I need to consider every option available. To be honest, I agree that a crate motor makes the most sense. In fact, until recently, I was going to go with the ZZ502.

All things considered, if my bottom end is OK with a freshen up, some good head work, new top end gear etc, I would think that this would be a viable option worth considering, and possibly cost effective. It's unlocking a decent combo which is the trick.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

If your engine is in good shape I dont know how you can beat budget wise by doing what I listed earleir or a similiar combo. The key words being that your block and rotating assembly only need to be cleaned up, I cant see how you could be over 3-4000 in a buildup. You can make that magical 502 hp without straining your wallet with your 454. Just my .02 cents.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tony, your two cents is worth alot man, I appreciate it. I am thinking along the same lines as you. If the quotes to rebuild come back close to that of a good crate motor, then crate will be the way I will go.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

If your bottom-end is good then Tony is right.(but "3-4000" is defintely US$)
The Edelbrock Performer package is advertized to make 540hp with an easy 9.6:1 c/r.
I have the same heads (6045) and they make great power.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

You could go with the Edelbrock heads but I opted to save some cash and spent 400.00 for a port and blend job on my existing oval port heads. If properly done they can flow very sufficiently. Like I said I had 538 hp with my oval ports. Of course they were rebuilt with stainless valves, bronze guides and good seals.Plus I went with a with Competion Cams valve springs. If you want to avoid any problems and save weight(plus easily repaired) go with the Aluminum heads. Your stocks connecting rods (ARP fasteners) should be sufficient but I would think new good quality pushrods would be a good idea. Make sure you balance the assembly and you will have a quality reliable engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode