What numbers to look for? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

What numbers to look for?

I'm about to go look at a 327 engine for my ragtop. According to the seller, the engine is put together using a block from 1967. How can I tell the block was made back in 67 (or 66, for that matter)? Between what numbers should it be?
Are there any typical "327 flaws" or anything else I should look for or "are they all the same"
As my Camaro was originally equipped with a 327, I am very keen to get hold of it but want to make sure I'm not taken for a ride. The guy runs a legitimate business so I doubt he'll try anything funny..

Short info from the seller: 327 block, balanced steel crank, 10.25 comp pistons, all new bearings, 480/480 cam original inlet manifold. Can't remember what carb he put on it. He will dyno test it when I get there and everything seems to be in order.
To this one - I will add Flowtech Afterburner headers with aFlowmaster American Thunder 2.5" system
Sounds like a good combo?

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 01:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: What numbers to look for?

Check the Casting Number & Date and the Suffix code on the front pad for the information you'll need.

Here is the CRG number location information - http://camaros.org/numbers.shtml#EngineNumbers

Here is a link to "NastyZ28"'s site for quick reference to the Suffix and Casting information - http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

Just read through this information and make a list of the numbers you may need to reference ( like a couple casting numbers for the year[s] your looking at ) or recourd the info and check it when you get home.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

67 block casting numbers will be 3892657 or 3903352. The engine assembly code will end in MA, MB (327/210HP manual transmission), ME, MF (327/210HP manual transmission), MK, ML (327/275HP manual transmissions), MM, MN (327/275HP with power glide transmission).

If your car was assembled in the Antwerp plant the engine code will be stamped on the Antwerp tag atached to the firewall. If it a US assembled car the engine should be dated within about a month (usually less) prior to the cars assembly date noted on the cowl tag. The assembly date is stamped on the pad located on the passenger side top front of the block just below the head, and will end with one of the two letter codes noted above. The engine casting date is typically a few days to a week prior to that date and is on the passenger side top rear face of the block. It will be in a format consisting of a letter, followed by two or three digits. The letter is the month of the casting, A for January, B for February, etc. The next 1 or two digits is the day the block was cast, and the final digit is the year the block was cast.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Sixty-seven and earlier have an oil filter cannister, a replaceable filter element verses 68 and newer with a replacable oil filter, i.e., screw-on oil filter.

I think 66 and earlier have a "road draft tube" coming from an extra hole in the block next to the distributor. Sixty-seven is PCV valve, or closed crankcase ventilation.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Sixty-seven and earlier have an oil filter cannister, a replaceable filter element verses 68 and newer with a replacable oil filter, i.e., screw-on oil filter.

I think 66 and earlier have a "road draft tube" coming from an extra hole in the block next to the distributor. Sixty-seven is PCV valve, or closed crankcase ventilation.

My 67 327/210 MT has a # V0627MA and it has canister filter and a road draft tube
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Thanks alot for that! I'll try and get all numbers etc off of the seller. Don't be surprised if I show again asking you all to help decode numbers..

67 Swedish Convertible

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 07, 11:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: What numbers to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Swedish Convertible View Post
Thanks alot for that! I'll try and get all numbers etc off of the seller. Don't be surprised if I show again asking you all to help decode numbers..
That's why we're here is it

Oh, btw - you won't find a "draft tube" on a 67 block .
"Draft Tubes" were illegal after 1962 ...
You will find the pre-67 rear block crankcase vent provision.
EITHER -
A cup adapter assembly, for the rear vent hole, ran to a hose that had a PCV valve in it, that mounted to an adapter/elbow that was mounted to the base of the carb at the intake - this was used on standard 49 states vehicles.*
OR -
On RPO-K24 equiped vehicles, a hose ran from the air cleaner to the rear tube assembly at the vent opening - this was used on CA emission and High Altitude vehicles. **

Do a search for 'PCV' or 'Draft Tube' - I think you''ll find it discussed lots of times ...

notes:
* = in this system the air flow was - from the Breather Cap on the oil fill tube, through the block crancase and then out the rear vent opening adapter through the PCV to the base of the carb/manifold. (air flow was 'out' ... )
** = in this sytem the air flow is - from the air cleaner base, through the adapter to the block crankcase and then out throught the PCV valve, mounted in the oil fill tube, to the base of the carb/manifold. (air flow is 'in' ...)

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode