plug wire arrangment - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

plug wire arrangment

so about 2 months ago we pulled the motor to clean it up and re paint it and the engine bay, installed the motor and were going to start it tomorrow. but i have a question. we made the plug wires to fit the looms cause last time it didnt have looms and i think i may have screwd up severly. for one, the distributor rotor rotates clock wise and i have the #1 plug wire pointing at #1 cyl. but the plug wires are going in counter clockwise rotation. do i need to go get another kit and re-do the plug wires correctly as in correct rotation or no? cause some people say it dosnt matter where your plug wires are on the cap aslong as there in the right order???

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 08:45 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: plug wire arrangment

Pop the cap and crank the engine over until you have the #1 cyl at TDC. You can remove the plug and feel the compression as you are coming up to TDC. If your timing marks are correct you will be at zero on the pointer.

Now look at the rotor, that's where #1 is. Hold the cap in mounting position above the rotor and turn the dist and cap until a terminal lines up with the rotor contact. That's #1 on the cap, Try to set the dist so you have room to turn it equal in both directions. Now the plugs count 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and go clock-wise around the cap.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

ya we did it at top dead center. so new plug wires it is, thats gonna suck. i honestly have no idea why i focked the plugs up like this i did it correct many many times before, it was one of thoes 2 a.m. nights rushing to get the motor installed to have it running by the 18th of feb. thanks for the help.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Pop the cap and crank the engine over until you have the #1 cyl at TDC. You can remove the plug and feel the compression as you are coming up to TDC. If your timing marks are correct you will be at zero on the pointer.

Now look at the rotor, that's where #1 is. Hold the cap in mounting position above the rotor and turn the dist and cap until a terminal lines up with the rotor contact. That's #1 on the cap, Try to set the dist so you have room to turn it equal in both directions. Now the plugs count 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and go clock-wise around the cap.
Why not stop the mark at 12 degrees BTDC align the rotor and eliminate retarded start up issues?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 09:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblock View Post
Why not stop the mark at 12 degrees BTDC align the rotor and eliminate retarded start up issues?
I didn't want to confuse the issue though with someone needing to know how to get the plug wires in the right place. It would be easy to not have the dist body in the right place (rotor and terminal alignment) even though the timing tab said 12 deg btdc...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

what happens if you do that? i thnk my car may have been too advanced cause when it was hot even with a new h.e.i distributor 50k volt it wouldnt get any spark, its happend like 3-4 times and its embarassing. anyway whats retarted startup?

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 05:20 AM

try this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevrolet firing.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	2637  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

ok i got it all fixed up right and going clock wise instead of counter clok wise, didnt have to re-cut any of the plug wires so it worked out well. thanks for the help guys.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Its nice to know that I am not the only one who has done this.

68 383, TH-350, 3.55 Eaton Posi, Holley SA 770, RPM Air Gap, World Sportsman II, ISKY Roller Cam
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 10:44 PM

i just put together a ford 302, and f....ed the firing order up...set it up as a chevy....18436572...lol./..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 07, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u want to keep the wires tidy and no interferance with vac advance unit and vallley coverthe dizzy hast to be set up to stock
#1 faces to the front of the engine
vac advance 45 deg to the passengers side facing forward.
The ht leads can then be routed in tidy looms wit little crossover
The back 2 HT leads on each side cross over low down by the plugs.

As mentioned above re setting #1 at your advance piont..make this piont facing directly to the front of the engine will keep the HT leads even more tidy with high advance numbers.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 07, 05:20 PM
Team Member
John

Correct distributor orientation and plug wire indexing looks like this:

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode