tuning dual holleys on a 355 w/ high rise intake? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 07, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darko

tuning dual holleys on a 355 w/ high rise intake?

I bought a 67 camaro with dual vac secondary holleys on a weiand high rise intake.

Its got camelback heads
11:1 compression
somewhat lumpy cam
headers
350 trans
3.55 rear gear

There is hesitation when driving it around, and if you nail the throttle when the car is at a stop the carb will backfire and the motor will shut off. When I took off the bonnet & air filters the tops of the carbs looked black & oily. It has an adjustable fuel pressure guage and thats set around 10psi if I remember right.

Any idea what the cause of the backfiring is? How to start tuning it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: tuning dual holleys on a 355 w/ high rise intake?

That's a lean back fire. You need to richen the accelerator pump's shooters/squirters.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech

Re: tuning dual holleys on a 355 w/ high rise intake?

10 PSI is a lot I am suprised you are not dumping fuel the needle and seat usualy hold to 9 PSI I always set a street [email protected] 7 to 8 PSI. BlackoutSteve is right you probably have a lean bacfire. You can buy a tune kit that changes the accel. pump ramp to a more agreesive ramp. Also you really need to set the timing up correctly first before you tune the carbs. To much initial timing will also cause carb spitting. Alot of people turn up the timing to compensate for a flat spot or hesitation in the fuel curve. I like running a timing curve on eng. like yours that has 15 degrees initial 36 total and I bring full centrifigal adv. in as early as I can without making the eng ping. You do that by adj. spring rate. Once that is set you can tune the fuel curve properly. If I were you I would contact Pro systems carb shop in Spring Lake Mi. 727-490-5717. They will be more then happy to point you in the right direction and get you tuned in they can sell you all the tunning kits and help dial you in. They are about the best at what they do and I dont think they are to far from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode