Lube new lifters with same lube as new cam or use oil??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lube new lifters with same lube as new cam or use oil???

I get confused on this. Should I use the comp cam lube on the cam and the bottom of the lifters.......or on all parts of the lifters.....or just on the cam and straight oil on the lifters???? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Lube new lifters with same lube as new cam or use oil???

Assuming hydraulic flat tappet, you want to soak the lifters in oil for a couple days. Take em out of the oil as you're installing em, wipe the bottom clean, smear it with the compcam lube and drop it in the hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 02:03 PM
Banned
Alan

If they are hydraulic lifters just a thought, I used to take an old maxwell-house coffee can fill it with oil ,soak a few days as Jim mentioned,then find a buddy with a drill press chuck up an old pushrod in it with lifter in oil in maxwell house can work pushrod up and down this will fill lifter cavity with oil, then clean as Jim mentioned, lube with cam lube

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blackburb View Post
If they are hydraulic lifters just a thought, I used to take an old maxwell-house coffee can fill it with oil ,soak a few days as Jim mentioned,then find a buddy with a drill press chuck up an old pushrod in it with lifter in oil in maxwell house can work pushrod up and down this will fill lifter cavity with oil, then clean as Jim mentioned, lube with cam lube
I agree, its old school but when you need to quickly get this puppy started and run for 20-30 min , you dont have to fool with adjustments until you are thru with the breakin. Use some Rotella or Delo oil for breakin along with a cam of GM EOS,,, just for protection.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:31 PM

ANd don't forget to put some moly-lube on each one's foot too like Isky's REV-LUBE!

As well as on the p/r ends and rocker arm balls!!

pdq67

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 07, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Wouldn't priming the engine push oil in the lifters? I rotate the engine while priming, would this be sufficient?

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 07, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if you prime till all the rockers are squirting, then yes, that's all she needs. If you soal the lifter, it will only take one third the time to get the oil up there tho.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 07:15 PM

Exclamation Re: Lube new lifters with same lube as new cam or use oil???

Don't do that of soaking the lifters. It is old school and could be damaging to the new hydaulic lifters. They have the possibility of seizing up and acting like a solid lifter.

"Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?
Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could cause the lifter to act as a ?solid? and prevent obtaining proper preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine?s oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout the entire engine. Crane Cams offers oil pump primers for Chevrolet and Ford engines."

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=3 from Crane cams. I have done this to a lifter in my set... if anyone has suggestions about how to free it up, it could be a big help?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 07:31 PM
Banned
Alan

Done at least 4 smallblocks that way with no problem, that is why the hydraulics have springs , mechanicals don't.That is news to me
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

Question: I just button up the intake. I did not wipe off the oil off the foot of the lifter. I just smeared some Crane cam lube on the foot of the lifter WITH oil already on it. This OK?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 07:54 PM

Smile Re: Lube new lifters with same lube as new cam or use oil???

Look, imho, you should be OK IF you fire her up soon after finishing putting her together IF there is any chance that stuff can drain/drip off the cam lobe's and lifter feet.

That's why we use moly lube paste b/c it CAN'T fall off over time!! Don't let her dry out before you fire her up or you just may scuff the lobe's and lifter feet...

One other thing and that is that I ALWAY's "finger" lube each lifter bore good w/ oil and then check and make darn sure that I can spin each lifter using my oilie fingers to make sure there is NO binding at all here...

AND watch "fingering" down in there b/c the tops and bottoms of the lifter bores can be really sharp and you may just cut h-ll outta one of your fingers!! Been there, done that!!

pdq67

PS., as well as use a small bottle of good old GM EOS un top of a full oil change

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech

Well, I did dump some of the Crane cam lube on top of the lobs after I adjusted the valves.

Probably will not get to fire it up for another couple of weeks.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 12:26 PM

So does anyone have any suggestions how to free up the hydraulic lifter that doesnt collapse at all? It would be a great help
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Take it out, take it apart and clean everything and the piddle valve. set it into a can submerged in oil, if you can, use the stroking action of a drill press to purge air and take in oil. You have to get the air out, new school, old school or no school. Lube bottom and drop in. If it will not take in the oil or expell the air, you will have to try an other lifter. Then worry about mating surfaces, again. Marvel oil is good for freeing stuck internals.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 02:57 PM
Banned
Alan

That Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff , I worked in my Dad's Welding and Machine shop when I was younger , he had a motor locked up, poured Marvel down the cylinder walls and within a week that motor was rotating. http://www.autobarn.net/chmm013.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode