Ford related question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

Ford related question

My friend has a 62' Fairlane with a 302 (not a crate motor) with upgraded cam, intake, carb, distributor... anyways we were driving home from school when he asks me what this rattling noise, i tell him it sounds like a broken exhause hanger. he also tells me of another mechanical problem, when he punches it will rev to about 5,700 rpm then slip inbetween gears and not shift until he lets off. so we did a wot and it revved past 5,700 rpm and by the time we roll up in my drive way its making a horrible noise coming from the drivers side rocker area, i could feel the vibrations from the rockers. he says the other night he checked the rockers and said everything was fine? is this a bent push rod or what? or could it be needing more adjustment?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Re: Ford related question

Ok, I know the problem, it's a F**d! Oh and that word is not allowed on this website. Just kidding. If all of the rockers are ok then it's not a bent pushrod. The reving problem is the tranny pump starving for fluid. Check fluid level, if ok then tranny pump is going out. Just keep driving it hard, eventually he will find out the problem and there will be one less F**d on the road. lol jk

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

I would check for a broken valvespring. If those all look ok, and nothing visually looks wrong under the valve cover, I would fire it up with that valve cover off and make sure everything is moving as it should be.
You didn't way what year 302 it is, but unless it has aftermarket heads or some early hi-po 289 heads on it, 99% of small block fords have non adjustable pushrods/rockers on them. They are set in a similar way as adjusting small block chevy rockers, except that they are torqued to a specific setting. Without going into detail here, it is very important that lifter preload is carefully checked after adding a performance cam or doing any head work. All the lifter preload on a non adjustable valvetrain is in the pushrod lenght, and a LOT of people miss this when working on things like this.
The ford rail rocker arms used on smallblocks up to about 1977 are also notorious for causing dropped valves with high lift cams (even worse on big blocks). The rails on the rocker tips hit the valvespring retainer at high lift...sometimes it causes the keepers to pop right out. The results are ugly as you can imagine.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
AJ

i didnt get a chance to pull a cover off, he had to rush home before somthing fugged up even more on it. i thought it was super weird though, WOT then rev extremly high until he let off, then pull up in the drive way and the rocker arms are making so much noise you can hear it a mile away. i put my hand on a valve cover and could feel the vibrations and grinding. i dont know wtf it was, but he does have an aftermarket cam. in my opinion it seems over cammed he says it has like .500" lift, being an ok mechanic for his age i sure hope he did his home work with the lift his iron heads could take, his lifters, and his springs... i dont know the year the 302 is he hasnt told me. it runs pretty well though, until he did this. but when it hit 5,700 rpm im thinking he could have floted a valve or bent a push rod? he said the day before he checked the rockers and everything seemed tight, but i dont think he knows to adjust them in the order there supposed to be? anyways if the cam is what he says it is 5,700 rpm should have been a walk in the park for this motor. could it be his kickdown springs is why the tranny is not shifting at WOT? oh its a C-4 transmission btw, brand spankin new.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode