intermittent starting and running problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

intermittent starting and running problem

Ok, I'm going to post this to several forums to see if anyone has any suggestions to fix my problem here it goes.
I have a 1994 3.4l camaro with 150k on it never had any major problems has always run great till lately I have intermeittent problems with starting and with the engine running rough. Sometimes I will try to start her and she starts fine other times I will try and she will turn but not start. I can hear the fuel pump fine. Sometimes when I have a problem with starting her I need to lay on the gas other times I can just wait a few seconds and after a few attempts she will start and run properly. So far she has always started. However a few times after having this problem starting her she will run but very rough kinda like she might be misfiring or something but I can't actually hear that going on all I feel is how ****ty the engine is running if I try to drive her like this she is very slow to accelertate but will eventually get up to speed but it feels like if I let my foot off the gas she will stall at anytime. So she intermittently has trouble starting and has a few times had a problem starting and then run like ****. So far I have replaced the plugs and wires but nothing else. I tried to pull and DTC's from the computer but I get nothing. when I test for DTC's nothing happens the check engine light and brake lights stay on they never blink at all or go out. I was thinking it may be the computer but I'd hate to spend all that money and not be sure. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 09:15 PM

Re: intermittent starting and running problem

I'm not very familiar with the 3.4 in your Camaro, but, I did have a 94 and 95 S-10 and Sonoma with a similar running problem. Both trucks had the same v-6 and problem.... the egr valve on the intake manifold. Carbon builds up in and around the valve (both trucks had over 100k on them)and causes it to malfunction, either opening too much or not enough. It was easy to change out. I don't know if your Camaro has an egr or not, but, it may be worth checking. Good luck!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 06:50 PM

thats a good point...carbon balls can hold the pintle open creating a vacuum leak...i believe the egr valve in your case as well as maro`s is electronic....CLEAN IT before replacing, as they are expensive...also i would first try changing the fuel filter...you wouldnt believe how many drivability problems can be related to fuel filters on injected cars...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 06:28 AM

I had same problem replaced EGR and didn't fix problem
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 06:01 PM

on those cars got a garbage fuel injection alot of times the pressure regulator goes bad and dumps fuel into throttle body.check when first starting if black smoke comes out and than clears out or pressure guage on fuel line so if nothing or alot of pressure when first starting.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 03:31 AM

I am going to test pressure this weekend for the part does not sell just the regulator. You have to buy the whole rail and its about 300.00 for part....lol Will post what happened when I do it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Hmm, this 94 3.4L V6 is the third in two weeks not running correctly, justbrad, Ruth, & now boz2841.

All of them are having the same problem, no start to running rough. OBD 1.5. GM only had it for two years, maybe.

Wonder what's common, besides the operating system?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode