I smell fuel - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I smell fuel

After driving the car for a while. I have no leaks, the smell is coming from the carb, so my thought is that its dumping fuel into the engine. Brand new Edelbrock and 350 crate motor. I put a brand new gas cap on, which I have a question about...Why, when i remove the cap, does it spit out pressure when i loosen it?

Is there something I need to look into on the carb? Get another Gas cap? Before I got the cap I could smell the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 05:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: I smell fuel

You did not say what type of fuel pump or carb you have. My first thought is that the fuel floats are too high and allowing fuel to run thru the venturi, check float levels. You could have too much fuel pressure and this will force needles off their shut off seats. Might be the back barrels but both need to be checked. Last could be a ruptured PV but then you did not say how it was running, rich , black smoke , etc.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Your carb might be percolating from the engine heat. An insulating spacer will fix that.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 11:32 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I have never smelled raw fuel from the carb without other obvious signs like hard starting from being flooded or having drained fuel bowls. Usually you'll find visual signs of fuel on the throttle linkage (seeping from the throttle shafts) or the primary throttle bores will be wet...

Almost every time I have smelled raw fuel in the interior of the car it's been the fuel filler cap. Not that the cap is bad it's just not on correctly...

The tank burping sometimes when removing the cap is normal from my experiences...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Check the seals on the fuel sender unit on the top of the tank.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 09:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Check the seals on the fuel sender unit on the top of the tank.
Large O ring.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 10:10 PM

the fuel pump is probably building up pressure not to sure
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I have a Performer 600 Edelbrock Carb. A mechanical fuel pump (new) The smell is definitely coming from under the hood. And not the tank.

I'll pull the air cleaner tonite after i drive it a while, and look down the carb and see if I can see fuel draining.

Now, after driving a while then park for 5 or 10 minutes it is hard starting. It takes quite a few cranks to start up.

When i got the carb I did check the float level (as recommended here on posts I have read). Levels seem fine, but I'll do it again.

The tank never burped as strong as it does now after i got a new gas cap (hecho en mexico), I read that as well on another post here.

Another bit of info, the fuel line is hard as a brick after shut down. I unscrewed the fuel line and i had fuel spittin all over the place. After a while pressure goes away.

The tailpipe is pretty black inside.

I want to try to tackle this myself as I dont know many mechanics in this part of the world, too many Mercedes, VW, Audi, Opel etc. dealers/mechanics. My knowledge of carburetion is minimal.

john
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The carb should not be leaking as you see it. I believe the best to troubleshoot this problem is to remove the carb from the intake and stasrt there.

Get yourself a place outside, park bench maybe, and first, drive the car as usual. Remove the carb to the bench. While its leaking, visually look for the leak. You can remove the top plate of the carb without a problem. In the center axis of the carb, there are two plates, each held by a screw. Unscrew and underneath is a needle, piston, and a spring in each bore. Remove the three components per side, then remove the eight(?) screws and pull the top off, floats will come with it.

Now you have just the bowl and base plate. When the fuel drains out by the leak, you can fill the bowl again to locate the leak. It could be as simple as the floats being set too high also. You might want to lower the level alittle and experiment.

keep track of all the parts and keep them in order. Take pics if you have a camera. Make sure the "flower" is showing to allow close-up focusing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode