Engine Support Help Needed.... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Engine Support Help Needed....

I am getting my 69 convertible painted next week. I am putting in the big block motor without the tranny (I don't have it yet) for painting.

Do I need to support the motor with anything besides the motor mounts?

If yes, any suggestions how to support it?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
michael

Re: Engine Support Help Needed....

I cut a 2x4 to length to lay crossways between the fenders just in front of the firewall. I then looped a rope from one side of the 2x4, under the scattershield, and back up to the other side of the 2x4. It wasn't the prettiest contraption to look at, but it worked for me. Good luck. Mike.

68 SS350 4spd.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes, absolutely! It will snap the mounts clean off and be resting on the firewall before you turn around. Generally, a floor jack under the oil pan (put a board on top of it so it don't dent the pan) works very well, of course, you can't move the car.

For painting what?
If you're painting the car why not just leave the motor out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 10:19 AM
Bill

Artie,
I prefer not to have the engine in the car, have you ever tried to get the over spray off ?? Imposible to wrap it up good enough. but ...... if you want it there, see if a local trans shop will loan, or give you, a junk case. Almost anything will work. Bolt it on and let it sit on the crossmember.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Artie,
I prefer not to have the engine in the car, have you ever tried to get the over spray off ?? Imposible to wrap it up good enough. but ...... if you want it there, see if a local trans shop will loan, or give you, a junk case. Almost anything will work. Bolt it on and let it sit on the crossmember.
I thought it would be easier to get the engine in without any of the panels in and my painter tells me there will be no over spray.

I am going to borrow a tranny for the support.

Here is a pic of the body on a jig to do the bottom and one of the motor.

The body, frame and rear end are all together now, but I haven't taken any photos yet.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I have used a piece of angle iron across the frame rails with two long bolts threaded into the block before but if you can get a trans case thats even better!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I would just leave it out. Paint guys always "promise" no overspray. Few deliver. If fact, you might tell him you want to look at it after he's masked but before he shoots.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode