Piston to valve clearance before installing cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Piston to valve clearance before installing cam

Is there a way to calculate (estimate) piston to valve clearance before I have the cam installed? Is there a calculator out there?

68 Z/28, grotto blue, protect-o-plate
67 plain jane survivor, deep water blue, protect-o-plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Piston to valve clearance before installing cam

...obviously using assumptions for cam lift and rocker ratio

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd think that it would be VERY hard to figure. Possible I suppose, IF you know exactly what the cam events and lobe profile are, but you'll never get the lobe profile unless you map it out your self, and if you have the cam to map it, why not just slide it in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
why not just slide it in?
I don't have the cam yet, so I want to figure out how much valve lift I can go with before I order it. I'd hate to get the cam and then determine there's not gonna be enough clearance.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

This indeed would be a good calculator. Seems like if you know all the specs, it could be done.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
...Seems like if you know all the specs, it could be done.
Problem is it's more than just specs. The valves and pistons typically come their closest at 20-30 degrees before (intake) and and after (exhaust) top dead center. You could pull 4 standard profiles with 280 advertised duration (magnum, XE, hydro roller, mech roller) and get VASTLY different measurements depending on how quickly the valves are coming off the seat.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
.....You could pull 4 standard profiles with 280 advertised duration (magnum, XE, hydro roller, mech roller) and get VASTLY different measurements......
So that means we really don't have all the specs. Right? Wrong? These cam co.'s surely know even though the info might not be accurately advertised.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:25 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

There are so many variables to this, more than cam specs, it's better to measure. Better safe than sorry.

Variables include: deck height, milled heads, compressed head gasket thickness, vavle size, pistons, how the pistons are clearanced ('eyebrows') for the valves.

With all of these variables, it wouldn't take much to be off, just a little. I can't think of anyone that would want to take on all that liability to develop a calculator.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Good start on the variables list. Any more?

Robert

TC member #18
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

I just put a voodoo in my 454. Pretty knowledgeable people said that I should have enough P/V clearance to drive a truck through. Guess what? Not even enough to get the spare tire through!

Lift has really nothing to do with P/V, its the overlap and other things. The Voodoo cams have such an aggressive intake valve that it actually almost hits the piston while chasing it down on the intake stroke. Closest was at 5*-10* ATDC.

Bottom line is check. Get your cams from Summit, so you can return them w/o an argument if needbe.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode