Oil leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Oil leak

hey, i have a small block 350 with the holley systemax2 heads and intake.
it is running great, but it has got a oil leak coming from the back of the engine running down the bellhousing. i have checked the valve covers, intake and oil pressure sending unit, and they dont appear to be leaking. it will not leak sitin still, you can race it up or anything and it will not leak! but as soon as you pull out and go for a drive it leaks. does anyone know what might be happening, any information would be GREATLY appretiated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Oil leak

Distributor gasket?

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

long shot, but there is an oil galley plug in the drivers side deck, you can see maybe half of it peeking out past the head if you look hard. Most likely tho, it's the back of the manifold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

it dont appear to be leaking there, the intake stays dry. the oil just puddles where the casting #s are on the back of the block, i could see about half a hole under the drivers side head, so i took the head off but it is plugged i can not think of anywhere else it might be leaking from?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I had this happen on my '55 the rear intake gasket slipped. Check again.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanks for the help!! i have tried re-glueing the intake down several times, got any tips or good sealants that would work better than just normal RTV.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 07, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Al

RTV black works, but it takes a fairly hefty bead - more than I thought. I chased the same leak, and once I really laid down a thick bead, it quit leaking.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 12:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Get a leak detection kit which uses a dye that you put in the oil and can be seen with a UV flashlight supplied in the kit. Makes detecting these leaks MUCH easier. I had the same leak you did and I was able to pinpoint it to the intake manifold.

http://www.tracerline.com/

Mike

68 Camaro (Resto in Progress)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 07, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks! everyone for the help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 07, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
george

Justin...I fought the same type issue.Oil leak from the china wall.I inverted the intake manifold and center punched small dimples to help anchor the rtv sealer.Maybe I am to shy on the bead thickness...I just do not like gobs of rtv hanging down in the lifter gallery that can break away.I also tape the intake and block and finger smooth the rtv...then remove the tape for a nice finished look before it tacks up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:43 PM

i found it to work best fo me is to put a nice bead then just sit the manifold in place for a bit and let the silicone tack up then torqe the bolts down. let it set good at least over night before you mess with it then trim the excess with razor blade. no leaks for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode