Crates --> GM vs. Year One - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Crates --> GM vs. Year One

I am so confused on what engine to select. Which would you choose? Also, Do you believe the hp/tq #'s?

Year One 383 (CT383PC1) Engine Specifications $6990:
·Horsepower- 500
·Torque- 480 ft/lbs
·Compression Ratio- 10.7:1
·Recommended Fuel- 92 octane
·Max Recommended RPM- 6000
·Block- 4-bolt iron
·Crankshaft- Nodular iron
·Pistons- Forged with coated skirts
·Connecting Rods- Forged I-beam steel
·Camshaft- Hydraulic roller
Valve lift (intake/exhaust):.463"/.570"
Duration @ .050" (intake/exhaust): 238deg/242deg
·Rocker arms- Roller 1.5:1 ratio fully roller ·Cylinder Heads- Aluminum, hand worked
·Bore x Stroke- 4.03" x 3.75"
·Intake Manifold- Single plane aluminum
·Warranty- 12 month/12,000 miles

This small block crate engine features aluminum cylinder heads, forged pistons with coated side skirts and a roller camshaft. It has a slightly lopey idle and produces 500 horsepower with 480 ft/lbs of torque. It uses ARP fasteners throughout. Each engine is dynamically balanced and blueprinted. It is also dyno-tested and supplied with printout of.

GM ZZ383: (NAL-12498772) - Summit Racing - $5189.
These all-new GM Performance Parts ZZ383 crate engines offer big block performance with a small block price tag. With the GM Performance Parts "Fast Burn Heads" on a 383 c.i.d., this combo offers approximately 9.1:1 compression with 425 hp at 5,400 rpm and 449 ft./lbs. of torque at 4,500 rpm. These blocks have 4-bolt mains with 1-piece rear main seals, forged steel externally balanced crankshafts, 5.7 in. powdered metal connecting rods, hypereutectic flat top pistons with offset pins. Billet steel hydraulic roller camshafts are install with .509 in. intake lift, .528 in. exhaust lift, and duration at .050 in. for intake is 222 and 230 for exhaust with a lobe centerline of 112 degrees. Aluminum full roller self-aligning rocker arms are used with 1.5:1 ratios. Heads are GM Performance Parts "Fast Burn" heads with 62cc combustion chambers, 210cc intake runner volume "Fast Burn" combustion chambers with 2.00 in. lightweight hollow stem intake valves and 1.55 in. sodium filled exhaust valves. LT4 Corvette valve springs and lightweight retainers are used. These heads have "D" shaped exhaust ports and have dual bolt pattern intake manifold and valve cover configurations. Cast iron long leg, standard "V" belt rotation water pumps with 1979-86 power steering pump boss. Addition items that are included with these crate engines are 8 in. harmonic balancers, 12 3/4 in. automatic flexplates, 4 quart oil pans with windage trays, painted valve covers with oil cap, grommets, provisions for PCV and breathers. Composite front timing covers, spark plugs, engine oil dipstick and tube passenger side location. Brass freeze plugs, fuel pump block plates and engine lift taps for an easy install.

Thanks!

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 10:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Crates --> GM vs. Year One

www.jonbarrett.com
Strick I like these guys....I know Jon pretty well He was my Neighbor for a few years when I lived in Oklahoma.

I am not sure about 'advertised' hp numbers. I think some have been embelished a little....I know Jon's motors are on the money.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 07, 10:30 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Dave ,if money wasn't the issue i would go for the "Year One" engine,for the hp.and the warranty. Plus it's balanced and blueprinted. ALTHOUGH; I bought a GM crate engine last year direct from the local Chevy dealer, it was delivered to the dealer, so i didn't pay truck freight, and they ,the dealer, brought it to my house on their flatbed for free. You might want to talk to the local dealer about the ZZ383 engine. Boy its a hard decision, but a nice one to be able to make!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jim
69 Plain Jane, Pennsylvania.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 11:05 AM
Tech Team
Johnny

I think I may talk to Jon Barrett too for my engine. I liked what I saw so far
Johnny K
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Jon has used his motors to set records at the salt flats for several years....

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 07, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

www.tandLengines.com

I have seen good feedback on the above builder. I have also e-mailed two people who have purchase these motors. I am thinking their 408ci/470hp/510tq will fit my bill. Also, for about $1000 less than the Year One motor. It also includes the distributor and carb.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode