Which engine is best. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Which engine is best.

I am buying a 1969 Camaro and was wondering which engine I should put in it. I know this will sound rediculous but my parents wont alow anything more than a Chevy 400 Small Block. Which is what my dad has. What would be a good engine for this size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Which engine is best.

Doesn't sound ridiculous to me. If it was my kid he'd have a crate 350.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 09:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Which engine is best.

Staying in the Small Block family of engines you can pick all kinds of final displacements that offer good power output and street drivability.
Right now the 383 combination is one of the most popular build ups for great torque (this is what you're gonna want for street performance) and good HP output. These engines are easy to build with off the shelf parts and don't cost much more than a 350 to build.
If you are looking for a 'crate' type engine these are readily available from all the popular suppliers, such as GM and Summit.

The 400 makes a good foundation for a street motor, but you need to know what you're doing in selecting a block (many are cracked already) and the internals to make good HP and have it last on the street.
The 400 also costs a good deal more to build usually than a 350 or 383 combo.

Hope this helps.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Man stop your whining I would have given anything if my dad would have let me own a 69 camaro of any kind (yeah even the inline 6 ) that 350 stroked to a 383 can make more horse power than you could ever need on the highway and probably more than you would want to use on a race track and will probably do it more affordably than any engine on the street/strip. You dont need a big block with big nose weight .. get urself a nice aluminum head 350 crate with alum rad and electric fans .. go light .. and send the big blocks home with thier heads lookin like this hehe man small blocks are the most affordable horsepower there is... period.. don't fret .. just get in and drive .. you'll be addicted to the small block madness in a very short while (about 13 secs) and you wont be able to stop your face from grinnin!!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 11:29 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

LSx. Look for the LQ series (iron blocks) in the trucks/vans. Can you say CHEAP!

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

for my first camaro (at age 15) i had a mild 350 with a th 350 and had loads of fun with it. Now it has a hot 350 with a tremec 5 speed and 3.73s, what a difference. Put a nice 350 in er. Is it ur daily driver???
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
george

How about a 572 made to look like a 366 out of a school bus.lol.Just kidding ya.The 383 SBC would be an excellant choice IMHO.Listen to your Dad...he has your best interests in mind.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 07, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Well every male in my family got a Camaro and this wont be my first vehicle. My dad has a Chevy 400 small block in his and my brother has the 383 in his. Both very good engines, and very similiar. I was thinking the 383 but im not sure if my dad will allow that because that will still have quite the amount of power. Also varies with the tranny and gears so it really depends on what i do. And yes it will be a daily driver because i wouldnt want that baby to sit in my garage. I dont believe in weekend cars, if i put all that time and effort in restoring it, it will be on the road with me everyday. Also thanks for the advice.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokid08 View Post
And yes it will be a daily driver because i wouldnt want that baby to sit in my garage.
Right On! Another daily driver.

Regards

CurtiSS 69
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 04:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokid08 View Post
I am buying a 1969 Camaro and was wondering which engine I should put in it. I know this will sound rediculous but my parents wont alow anything more than a Chevy 400 Small Block. Which is what my dad has. What would be a good engine for this size.
Your lucky...My parents wouldnt let me get anything bigger than a vega with a 4 pin when I was a kid.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 05:20 PM

383 with an od...if you get bored, you can always add a procharger...that multiplys the pucker factor...this adds a compressed air charge to the pucker pump, making the pucker factor increase exponentially with the boost...lmao...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 07:38 PM

Another daily driver so do yourself a favor and drop a 220hp/283 PowerPack engine in her and hopefully get around 22 mpg on the road w/ a stock drive train.

pdq67

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 04:04 AM

My vote is for a 406 but I always ran 400's until I got turned on to BB's. I still have two 400 blocks in my garage that I will never get rid of.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:36 AM
Tech Team

put yourself a nice small block together you will have as much fun with it as a big block and be able to find tons of parts very easy enjoy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Thumbs up Re: Which engine is best.

The 400 sbc is the perfect platform in my opinion. It's all that my father and I have run in our cars for nearly 20 years. We have several. 406, 408, and 434 presently. From street to bracket race car. I am putting a 408 in my street/strip '68 Camaro soon. I recommend a 406. If built properly, it will provide years of uninterupted performance and reliability. We had one in a bracket car with over 3 years and 670 passes on it, and when torn down it looked almost brand new.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode