Main Caps?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jay

Main Caps??

Hey Fellas,

I'm purchasing a 383 short block from cnc-motorsports in a couple weeks. The block they use is a 4 bolt main with a 2 pc seal and I believe it is a generation I block. The rotating assembly will be an Eagle 4340 forged crank and 4340 forged H-beam rods with forged 11.1 pistons, part # ESP-12011. My question is, should I invest the money into Miloden or equilivant main caps (approx $300) or are the basic "stock" main caps that come with a 4 bolt gen I chevy small block strong enough? The motor will be making around 550 hp. If you do recomend upgrading to better main caps, who do you recomend? Summit only seems to carry Miloden. Thanks for any help.

Jay

Jay
68 Camaro RS/SS, yellow w/black stinger stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Main Caps??

If they are selling a genuine 4-bolt block, it will be impossible to convert to aftermarket 4-bolt caps.

A 2-bolt block is a better platform for aftermarket 4-bolt caps.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

The stock 4 bolt main caps will be fine at that power level. I would suggest using studs.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jay

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

Jay
68 Camaro RS/SS, yellow w/black stinger stripe
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 10:50 PM
Banned

Any engines we build that are 550 horse we go to splayed center caps. Adding studs to the block does not make the main caps any stronger as they are just a grey cast cap, Its like changing rod bolts it does not make the rods any stronger it just a better fastener.

A 383 requires good caps as a 3.750 stroke crank will side load the caps more then a 3.480 stroke crank. The Milodon caps are only nodular iron caps as we use all caps from Program Engineering which are a billet steel cap.

Splayed caps tie the pan rail and the webbing of the block together makigh for a much better peice when its done.

Have sonic test the cylinders before they do anything and an 010/020 has better webbing then the K cap blocks.

Here is a pic of a block we machined for another shop.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:38 AM

RPW,

I figure you shoulda asked Carl first..

He's about as straight a "shooter" as they come, imho AND I have NEVER done business w/ him..

As always, jmho...

pdq67

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:55 PM

Question Re: Main Caps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
Any engines we build that are 550 horse we go to splayed center caps. Adding studs to the block does not make the main caps any stronger as they are just a grey cast cap, Its like changing rod bolts it does not make the rods any stronger it just a better fastener.

A 383 requires good caps as a 3.750 stroke crank will side load the caps more then a 3.480 stroke crank. The Milodon caps are only nodular iron caps as we use all caps from Program Engineering which are a billet steel cap.

Splayed caps tie the pan rail and the webbing of the block together makigh for a much better peice when its done.

Have sonic test the cylinders before they do anything and an 010/020 has better webbing then the K cap blocks.

Here is a pic of a block we machined for another shop.

Carl,

With an 880 casting 4 bolt block, what are your options as far as caps are concerned and what would you do since it is already a 4 bolt block? Thanks, Brad
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin99 View Post
Carl,

With an 880 casting 4 bolt block, what are your options as far as caps are concerned and what would you do since it is already a 4 bolt block? Thanks, Brad
Brad

The block in the pic is a 4 bolt block the caps I put on are 7.500 wide and go out past the outter bolts about an inch and are at a 10 degree angle which will NOT get you onto the water jackets.

Or you can go with a 4 bolt billet replacemnt cap which put all the stress on just the webbing of the block as the splayed caps tie the pan rails in.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

FWIW - I've run 10.47 and 130.6 MPH with stock 4 bolt caps. Based on a weight of 3,350 lbs. I'm putting about 580HP to the tires which should be 700+ at the flywheel.

Splayed caps are definately better but do you need them?

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
If they are selling a genuine 4-bolt block, it will be impossible to convert to aftermarket 4-bolt caps.

I'm with him also!!

Chevy 250 turbo EFI
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech
Hank

My friend ran a true 400 CI 4 bolt main engine 72 Camaro 3000lbs running low 10's & the front tow main caps let go & destroyed the whole engine.
He had ARP main studs, second run of the day @ LACR "Hangover Nationals" & oiled down the track, people were a liitle upset.

It blew up so hard the water pump came off completely.

Chevy 250 turbo EFI
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Jay,

What's the rest of your 383 recipe to get to your 500-550 HP goal? I am looking at doing a 383 with the same HP goal. I have been talking with Chris/John @ CNC Motorsports, Carl at CNC Blocks and a couple others trying to gather as much information before I make my final decision on who I will have build my shortblock. I will say that everyone I have spoken to or have emailed have been very helpful.

I am planning on going with a hydra roller setup in mine along with the Canfield 215 heads and Dart Koolcan intake I already have.

Tom

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post

The block in the pic I posted is a 4 bolt main so why is it impossible to do this proccedure????????????
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 07:12 AM
Tech Team
johnnie

FOOD FOR THOUGHT, AT 6000 RPM THE CRANK IS SPINNING 100 TIMES A SECOND, YOUR PISTONS ARE LIKE FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT. PONDER ON THIS FOR A WHILE.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
The block in the pic I posted is a 4 bolt main so why is it impossible to do this proccedure????????????
Lack of tooling, both the machine to do it and the bits to do the cutting, and most important, the talent from the operator.

I'm thinking a machinist worth his/her weight, maybe I shouldn't include females, should be able to do most anything, given the time and tools.

Most shops don't do OE 4-bolt caps to splayed caps.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode