mechanical or electric water pump? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jay

mechanical or electric water pump?

Just posted the main caps question, but have another. Again, I'm having a sbc 383 built that will be running approx 550 hp. The car will be driven primarily on week ends and will see limited if any strip time. I'm kind of a horsepower junkie, so I was thinking of going with a Summit billet electric water pump to save horsepower. I've read you can save around 20 hp by using an electric water pump. The pump flows 37 gpm and has a 10,000 hour life expectancy and draws 6.1 amps. Do you guys in the know believe this would work fine and be reliable, or should I go with a mechanicle water pump? I have a 100 amp alternator in case that's info you would need, to give me a more accurate answer. Thanks again for the help.

Jay

Jay
68 Camaro RS/SS, yellow w/black stinger stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech

Re: mechanical or electric water pump?

Unless you cut out the alternator during your 1/4 mile run, an electric water pump is not going to save HP. Energy can not be created or destroyed, so however much power it takes to move the water through your cooling system, the alternator will have to make that much, plus more (which will get turned into heat).

IMHO, electric water pumps are a waste of money that can be spent on other stuff that WILL make more HP. But there are some benefits. For one, they provide a constant flow unlike an engine driven pump that changes pumping speed with RPM. And you can free up the HP during a 1/4 mile run if you disengage the alternator and run off the battery. But practically speaking, the HP you'd save wouldn't amount to much, and if you're racing for fun, think about what a 1/10th of a second is worth to you.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jay

Thanks Dave. I'll go with a mechanical pump.

Jay
68 Camaro RS/SS, yellow w/black stinger stripe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 07, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

If it's not a strip only car I say stay with the mech. pump. I can understand the quest for power, but in this case I think the reliability far out-ways the gain. You'd be far better off putting in an elec. fan and keeping the mech pump. You'll still same some power and keep the reliability.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode