Dart Little M or sportsman blocks - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Dart Little M or sportsman blocks

Considering a Dart sportsman or little M block 4.125 bore for next build. What's everyones experience with this block?

I've got Bowtie 6.0 rods but haven't yet decided on the stroke. I've got a steel 3.48 crank if I go 372-377 and that won't require any special clearancing. Anyone using this block with 3.800 to 4.00 strokes and if so did you need to clearance the oil pan rails or bottoms of the cylinder bores? I'm pretty sure above 3.750 will require the raised bore for the cam?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SY1; Mar 4th, 07 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Dart Little M or sportsman blocks

If you are running the Little M or Dart and thinking of stroking it, you should have no problems with side clearances. Thats what they are made for. Maybe Mark LW will pop in here, I know he has done lots of swapping blocks and he is on this second one now? Mark? As for the cam, I can't say for sure.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1 View Post
Considering a Dart sportsman or little M block 4.125 bore for next build. What's everyones experience with this block?

I've got Bowtie 6.0 rods but haven't yet decided on the stroke. I've got a steel 3.48 crank if I go 372-377 and that won't require any special clearancing. Anyone using this block with 3.800 to 4.00 strokes and if so did you need to clearance the oil pan rails or bottoms of the cylinder bores? I'm pretty sure above 3.750 will require the raised bore for the cam?

Thanks in advance.

I built a 421 with one......had to do some minor notching on the rails and bottom of cylinders. I used 6.0" H beam rods and a 3.875 stroke crank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

If you run a 4" stroke Moroso and Milodon both make pans to clear.
With the Motown block you will have to do some minor side clearancing of about an 1/8" with 4" crank and H-beams. I-beams will require a little more clearancing. A3.8" crank will clear fine with H-beams. As for cam clearance if your planning to run a flat tappet cam your fine, but a roller will require a small base circle cam to clear with the 4".

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1 View Post

Thanks in advance.

We do a lot with both the Dart and the Bowtie blocks and the Dart has more clearance for the strokers then the Bowtie block.

I believe we may have a Sportsman block in the shop all machined which is line honed, deck to your dimension, Blue print bored and plate honed, lifter bores clearanced, water holes matched to the gasket cleaned ready to go and shipped free for 2395.00

Dart rates that block at 900 horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode