Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 camaro fuel tank sending unit removal

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DenRS 
#1 ·
Would like to know what is the best way to remove the fule tank sending unit? Also wat brand replacement unit would be the best to replace it with?

#6 ·
Make sure you drain as much fuel out of the tank as possible. It can be a real bear to get out with too much fuel in it. I would spend the extra money and get a Delco sender. I have heard there are a lot of problems using a reproduction one. I think I paid around $160 for mine at ground up. Good Luck!

#7 ·
Take your time. Even with a gal or so of gas left in the tank ( at 6#/gal) sloshing around will make it fun to remove. I used a brass drift to remove the locking ring. Have another ring and gasket handy.

#9 ·
If your using a floor jack to assist in lowering the tank, put a piece of wood between the tank and your jack. If you still have a few gallons of gas in the tank, you could dent your tank. Also before you lower the tank all the way, disconnect the ground wire for the sender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.