Remanufact-350- Spun bearing at 1k - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Remanufact-350- Spun bearing at 1k

Can someone tell me what could cause a remanufactured 350 to spin a rod bearing at 1K? A guy locally has one for sale... cheap..(I May just buy for the externals)

He claims the heads have been rebuilt, but I had heard before that a spun bearing can cause valve damage as well...

What should I be looking for on this motor to determine if :
1) I could put a little money in and use entire motor (reinstall new bearings?) Or
2) Pull and use the heads on another motor.

Obviously the internals are all greek to me... I would appreciate some education on the subject if anyone can spare the time..

Thanks- Jim

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Remanufact-350- Spun bearing at 1k

Lots of causes, could have over heated, could have been put together wrong, sounds like motor has been apart before.
Cheap? $200? , Maybe be a crank kit could get it all back together again, Available from most parts stores, Need to get pan off and do survey.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

What would I need to look for when I pull the pan? I am assuming I would be looking at the condition of the crank.( gouging?)

What all comes in a crank kit?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

The causes are too numerous to list, but odds are it was an assembly error of some sort.

A spun bearing almost always ruins the journal of the crank.

A spun bearing could cause valve damage if the wear was so severe it allowed piston to valve contact and bent a valve. Odds are that didn't happen but you can tell at a glance if the piston smacked the valves. The piston on the suspect cyl will have valve marks in it. Even if it bent valves ...it's only one cylinder, not all eight. My boy spun damnear every bearing in a 305 and it didn't contact a single valve.

If a bearing did indeed spin it is in need of complete disassembly and rebuild. Cylinders should still be good w/ 1K if you're getting the whole story.

Tim Smith
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

if a main brg spun, you need to line bore it, if a rod brg spun you need to resize/new rods. a crank kit will NOT fix the problem

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls427ss View Post
if a main brg spun, you need to line bore it, if a rod brg spun you need to resize/new rods. a crank kit will NOT fix the problem
I agree w/ you, but he said rod brg in OP.

Tim Smith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

So it sounds like I could most likely pull the heads and all externals anyway.... has a new edelbrock intake and Chevy chrome Valve covers. And use the rest as a guinea pig to learn more about the internal workings... I think I can get it for 250 , so I dont think its a loss either way..

If I chose to try to rebuild this thing on my own (1st time) what are my chances?? And cost?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I would take it completel apart. A spun brg gets crap evrywhere. If it spun a rod brg, that rod is junk. Rings can be re-used and will seat right back, but you have to clean the tops of the cyls before disass to keep from filling the grooves w/ carbon. Like I said... if you're getting the whole story and it's just 1 spun rod brg. Like Larry said a crank kit won't help you if it spun a main. I wouldn't mess with it if it did that.

Sure the crank can be ground and then you use the next undersize bearing.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

True, if rod spun, heated up rod ,so it's gone. Really need to open it up first unless man want money first. You would wind up with a full rebuilt short block for 5-800 from parts houses? Need to check . If you dont have a core, well that about $100 so , I would guess if you got motor for a 100 then you should be fine. Still need to do homework on this motor. Cant fix it from here.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Remanufact-350- Spun bearing at 1k

Also, what is his definition of a remanufactured engine and who supposedly remanufactured it ? Some places put new rings in an engine and grind the valves and they have a remanufactured engine. To some it is, to me it isn't.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

From what he tells me it was a Jasper engine.. I have heard of them , but dont know much of their work...I just got an email back from him.

[
Quote:
I]I pulled it apart and found the crank journal is scored and all the rod bearings need to be replaced along with reconditioning the rods or replacing them.
I just don't have the time or money right now to fix it. Everything else looks great.[/I]
WHat do you guys think?... take a chance or should i walk away?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

Last edited by jsouthco68camaro; Jan 4th, 08 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode