short water pump and power steering - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darko

short water pump and power steering

I need to swap from a long water pump to a short one for my chevy 350 because of my blower. I was wondering how I will go about doing this? Do the alternator and power steering pump both mount on the drivers side or what? Where can I go to find some stock brackets? I dont want to drop a couple hundred dollars on aftermarket stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Re: short water pump and power steering

Yes, both alternator and p/s pump go on the drivers side. The power steering bracket should be the same but the pulley is different (I think its a deeper dish). If you look in the "Tech Articles" section of this web site there is an article that gives GM part numbers for a Corvette lower alternator bracket. A generic upper alt bracket can be made to fit easily enough.

Hope that helps.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 10:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lmao... I just replied to your post on Team Chevelle!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric68 View Post
Yes, both alternator and p/s pump go on the drivers side. The power steering bracket should be the same but the pulley is different (I think its a deeper dish). If you look in the "Tech Articles" section of this web site there is an article that gives GM part numbers for a Corvette lower alternator bracket. A generic upper alt bracket can be made to fit easily enough.

Hope that helps.
is there anyplace I can go to order these part #'s instead of the dealer? I just looked at the tech section and it looks like the alternator brackets will work.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

try www.gmpartsdirect.com They are a little cheaper than the dealer. You can check into ALan Grove brackets too, but I think they are more expensive that the one or two pieces you would need from the GM dealer.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Heres a alt bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW Not sure if it will work for you, but its the one I have. What blower do you have? Where does the alt have to be mounted? Heres a power steering bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW I have both of these in my setup.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

Last edited by mnm99; Oct 9th, 08 at 06:08 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 10:24 PM

Just FYI to anyone getting ready to purchase the power steering bracket posted the second link above from MNM99.
It won't work on a '69 Camaro. The bracket mounts the power steering pump too low and the outlets on the back of your pump will hit your subframe crossmember. The part# I bought from the above link was GM3993314---It won't work.
I just put on a bracket made by Alan Grove 913-837-4368 tonight and it fits great. Part# 400L their website gives good diagrams with dimensions.
The site is listed in other posts.
Anyway just trying to pass on some info. to help others @ TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode