#1 Cyl has no compression - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

#1 Cyl has no compression

This is a newly built 383 still on the stand. All cylinders show pressure when spinning the crank by hand except #1.. I can hear the it blowing out the exhaust port.. Anything else I could try before pulling the head off? I did remove the exhaust rocker to make sure the valve wasn't being held open. The heads are fairly new Edelbrock RPM's, with the RPM Roller cam. If its a bent valve, Im a bit worried how it got that way. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: #1 Cyl has no compression

My first thought is , a valve is not closing. Is intake pulling in air? Can you release intake valve some? Will cly pressure up for leakdown? Did you install rings on this piston?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
My first thought is , a valve is not closing. Is intake pulling in air? Can you release intake valve some? Will cly pressure up for leakdown? Did you install rings on this piston?
I'm assuming the intake is puling in air.. I plugged the spark plug hole up with my thumb and can feel it start to pressure up but before it pops my thumb, I can hear the pressure release out the exhaust port.. And that's with the exh rocker removed. I also checked the adjustment on the intake valve, its ok. The engine was built at a machine shop, so I would hope the rings are there. But by the way its acting, I'm sure they are installed.

Like you said, I'm thinking the valve isn't closing, or perhaps its even bent.. I'm in denial on it being bent, I just dont see how that could have happened. Maybe some trash on the valve seat? The heads do have about 5,000 miles on them and I did clean them up before installing on the new engine. Should I try blowing some compressed air in the exhaust port with the valve open? Or do I just need to pull the head and check it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb596 View Post
I'm assuming the intake is puling in air.. I plugged the spark plug hole up with my thumb and can feel it start to pressure up but before it pops my thumb, I can hear the pressure release out the exhaust port.. And that's with the exh rocker removed. I also checked the adjustment on the intake valve, its ok. The engine was built at a machine shop, so I would hope the rings are there. But by the way its acting, I'm sure they are installed.

Like you said, I'm thinking the valve isn't closing, or perhaps its even bent.. I'm in denial on it being bent, I just dont see how that could have happened. Maybe some trash on the valve seat? The heads do have about 5,000 miles on them and I did clean them up before installing on the new engine. Should I try blowing some compressed air in the exhaust port with the valve open? Or do I just need to pull the head and check it?

Release rocker arms on both cly, pressure up with shop air via air chuck / spark plug hole tool, piston will go to bottom so make sure you dont have any breakovers on crank bolt . Listen to exhaust port and if intake is off, listen there or thru carb or manifold and crankcase, You should hear something. What do the lifter bottoms look like?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Release rocker arms on both cly, pressure up with shop air via air chuck / spark plug hole tool, piston will go to bottom so make sure you dont have any breakovers on crank bolt . Listen to exhaust port and if intake is off, listen there or thru carb or manifold and crankcase, You should hear something. What do the lifter bottoms look like?
Ok, will try that.. Do they carry the "shop air via air chuck / spark plug hole tool" at most auto part stores? Or perhaps Northern Tool? The lifters are new rollers. Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 12:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb596 View Post
Ok, will try that.. Do they carry the "shop air via air chuck / spark plug hole tool" at most auto part stores? Or perhaps Northern Tool? The lifters are new rollers. Thanks!

Some of these tools are part of compression testing equiptment but they can be made. You may find them at parts stores, Harbor freight. You can have an old spark plug body (break out center) welded to the suitable air chuck nipple. A farm / tractor store may have this as some people use the cly pressure to air up tires.

Roller lifter eliminates the worn cam lobe syndrome.

Don
TC # 349

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Quote:
Some of these tools are part of compression testing equiptment but they can be made. You may find them at parts stores, Harbor freight. You can have an old spark plug body (break out center) welded to the suitable air chuck nipple. A farm / tractor store may have this as some people use the cly pressure to air up tires.

Roller lifter eliminates the worn cam lobe syndrome.
Boy, that would make a great episode for Mythbusters....... Can tires explode if filled with fuel-air mixtures?

alan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 01:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Boy, that would make a great episode for Mythbusters....... Can tires explode if filled with fuel-air mixtures?

alan
Normally these tractors guys are using diesel and those that use spark plugs, use propane which is worse but the same as some topping off tires with such. All tractor tires I saw were loaded with water, but you are correct, there is a mixture. Maybe the Myth guys will cross that some time.

Don
TC # 349

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Checked it out tongiht and ended up being some trash on the valve seat. I pulled the head, cleaned the valve. Then bolted the head back up and no more blow by past the exhaust valve.. Just got to buy an intake and head gasket.. Thanks for the replies!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

cool.
I built a compression tester with a plug fouler ( Azone) and a fitting from the hardware store. worked great.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Normally these tractors guys are using diesel and those that use spark plugs, use propane which is worse but the same as some topping off tires with such. All tractor tires I saw were loaded with water, but you are correct, there is a mixture. Maybe the Myth guys will cross that some time.
We bought when I was on the farm and I still have, a tire inflator and we had gas engines. Took forever to fill a front tire. And yes, air/fuel mix.

Liquid in the rear tires is an antifreeze gel and is used for additional weight to pull an extra one or two extra plow shears from the OE design, a traction device. If tractor was designed to pull 3-shear plow, add weight and could pull 4-shear plow, gear down one gear and could pull 5-shear. More shears, less time in the field(s). Or, go an inch deeper in the cut to remove the 'shelf' generated only the several years of using the same plow with the same tilling depth.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode