inline 6 to sbc linkage problems - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

inline 6 to sbc linkage problems

hey there I got the swap done except for the intake/carb and exhaust so far, here is my question
how do u adapt the gas pedal lever next to the firewall to the carb??

How do i make the powerglige kick down rod work as it is sitting on the outside of the valve cover???

Where do I put the coolant temp sensor???

How do I connect the oil pressure switch beside the distrib to the harness is there a adapter to get as I have a 1 inch high nipple with a peice of copper hard line cut off???

i have swapped a 67 camaro motor form a inline 6 to 327 sbc motor, also the tranny is stock that was on the inline 6 2 speed powerglide. , intake is a edelbrock performer, and the carb is a edelbrock 1406 thanks

anyone with info can email me or add me to msn [email protected] thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
john

Re: inline 6 to sbc linkage problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekin View Post
hey there I got the swap done except for the intake/carb and exhaust so far, here is my question
how do u adapt the gas pedal lever next to the firewall to the carb??

How do i make the powerglige kick down rod work as it is sitting on the outside of the valve cover???

Where do I put the coolant temp sensor???

How do I connect the oil pressure switch beside the distrib to the harness is there a adapter to get as I have a 1 inch high nipple with a peice of copper hard line cut off???

i have swapped a 67 camaro motor form a inline 6 to 327 sbc motor, also the tranny is stock that was on the inline 6 2 speed powerglide. , intake is a edelbrock performer, and the carb is a edelbrock 1406 thanks

anyone with info can email me or add me to msn [email protected] thank you in advance
to be correct.........

you need to get the powerglide kickdown linkage.there is a bellcrank that bolts to 2 bellhousing bolts
and then two rods.see below....

these are going to be tricky to install if you have already installed the engine and trans..................
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/power...spagenameZWDVW

you need the v/8 throttle linkage. the 6 cyl used a cable....the v/8 uses linkage.see below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

well as far the pedal linkage goes that is what i have at the end of the firewall, it is a lever and it kind of lines up with the valley so i am not sure if i need to get that but the other piece is it what is required to make the kickdown cable to work so the bracket bolts to the bell housing thanks or can i get that from any 350 and and is there any other cars that will fit this thanks or a different setup i can get from the local junk yard

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I took the 6-cyl carb linkage, cut it in the middle, then doubled it up to the carb and pedal and welded the two pieces together.

The P/G kickdown linkage shown is SBC V8 only, the only one to work. See any P/Glide equipped full size car, truck, Chevelle, or Nova for linkage.

Coolant temp sensor goes on drvr head between 1 & 3 cyl.
Oil pressure switch from 6-cyl will fit into V8 block by the distributor, just coil up the lead and tie up with a tyrap by the firewall.
Same with ign coil power lead.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

ok that is great help guys but i am still uncertain as to which linkage goes to the gas pedal by the firewall, cause i have a large lever looking thing there, and i think the 6cylinder one might work, do u guys have any pics or part numbers of this stuff and also the kickdown cable, can i snag it from any other motor?? or a wreck yard
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The carb linkage would be the one going from the firewall to the carb, direct line. As said, I used the same rod, cut in half and welded it together. However, if you search our sponsors here, I'm sure someone will have the correct V8 rod.

Only a Powerglide equipped V8 vehicle will work for acquiring the kickdown linkage and it is not a cable, only the throttle control was/is a cable. Your present 6-cylinder trans kickdown linkage is a single long rod from the carb to the trans, approx 4 ft long. This rod will not work for a V8.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

can u give me some pointers as to where or what cars, will fit and have that kick down rod on it and do i need to remove this 4 foot long rod and replace it with a whole new one or just cut this one off or ???, also now that u r saying the gas pedal lever is to be connected to the carb by doubling the rods and that should go, do u have any pics u can email me thanks [email protected] or are u on msn messenger add me
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekin View Post
can u give me some pointers as to where or what cars, will fit and have that kick down rod on it and do i need to remove this 4 foot long rod and replace it with a whole new one or just cut this one off or ???,
The present 6-cyl kickdown rod will not work on a SBC V8. You can look at most any 1962 to 1974 GM car/truck equipped with a SBC V8 and Powerglide for the linkage set-up shown in wagonman's post. The heat shield shown may or may not be in place. When you unbolt/remove the V8 linkage, take as many items, including the linkage studs, the linkage connects, including the clips and bolts. Miss one item and attachment will be futile. Make a diagram or take good pictures before removing the linkage for future aid to installation. You will need all the info to make for a good install.
Quote:
also now that u r saying the gas pedal lever is to be connected to the carb by doubling the rods and that should go, do u have any pics u can email me thanks [email protected] or are u on msn messenger add me
The gas pedal to carb linkage may have been a cable.

If a cable, transfer the carb cable stud from the 6-cyl carb and install it into the V8 carb throttle arm in the same hole and attach the gas pedal linkage.

If the linkage from the pedal to the carb is a rod, the rod has a 90 bend at one end, this end hooks into the pedal rod on the firewall, the other end is threaded, and gets installed into the carb bushing (be sure to transfer this bushing from the 6-cyl carb to the V8 carb), cut the rod in the middle. It will be physically too long. Hook both ends of the rod to their respective places. Pull the pedal and 1/2 of the rod forward, you want the pedal off the floorboard, clamp both halves of the rod together with locking pliers and weld the two cut pieces of the rod together.

Or, probably easier, look through the sponsors catalog for the correct V8 carb linkage rod. Maybe get one from any Nova/Chevy II/Camaro/Firebird. Trucks and full size cars may be too long as they have longer wheelbases.

'
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys,

I sent him over asking b/c my car is a stick.

pdq67

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

hey guys i am still so confused how this thing connects the tranny to the intake does anyone have any pics that would really help and is the gas pedal from the 6cyl gonna work on a v8 motor, i mean the little arm by the firewall, it looks tight unless that is how it is suppose to be?? pics please thanks
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 02:10 PM
Kevin

You need the solid rod V8 accel linkage. The PG linkage for a V8 was pictured above. Here's my pics

Kevin

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 03:25 PM

Good pic's, Kevin!

pdq67

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

wow that is some nice pics u guys r awesome but here is another question if i change the tranny all together to a th350 or 400 will i have to change the shifter in the car, cause i want that to look stock is that possible since it is so hard to find the powerglide peices in my area. thank you what u guys think the motor is a 327
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 06:10 AM
Kevin

Thanks. Besides the PG, for a 327, the tranny choices are TH350, 200r4, 700r4. A TH400 would suck the life out of the engine.

A TH350 uses a kickdown cable and the cable is mounted very differently, the 200r4 fits in the same spot as a PG, but uses a TV system. The 700r4 uses the TV, but is a little larger than the 700R4 and the tunnel needs to be enlarged and the driveshaft shortened.

You can use the stock shifter in all transmissions, but would need to change the detent plate so the gears match. Also some brackets on the tranny how the shifter cable mounts will have to be changed.

Kevin

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Romeo

ok well what u suggest is the best application for the tranny as all the trannys are available here, and i would like to do this the most easiet and cost effective way, please that is bolt in type without comprimising the stock shifter and what would i need to mod that part of the shifter thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode