Engine Test Stand - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Engine Test Stand

Anyone know where I can find an engine test stand..either used, new...but affordable. If anyone has one for sale or knows of a decent set of plans to build that be great. I'm running a BB. Just checking with you guys before I dive into Ebay again. I'll end up using it once maybe twice so I'm not looking to take out a loan Thanks

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Engine Test Stand

I have seen guys use the engine stand and hook everything else up with temporary fittings and wires. I have seen these done on the 4 roller block roll around carts. I have seen them even on a stack of pallets. One thing for sure, you want to make sure you dont jazz the throttle too hard or it will be like the Pennzoil commercial, walk out to the street.
They are out on market, turn key jobs , about $2K.

Where's Tim, he rigged up an Okie style, radiator and all, just for run in. Tim, You there?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

It wouldn't be hard to set one up using a old subframe and rad support , might look back yard but the motor wouldn't flop around .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark .L.W. View Post
It wouldn't be hard to set one up using a old subframe and rad support , might look back yard but the motor wouldn't flop around .
Mark.
Thats a real good idea. I called my neighbor to see if he still had an old subframe and he offered something better. He is pulling his BB out of his car in 2 weeks to rebuild. We're gonna drop mine in and tweak it and put a few miles on it. Thanks for the idea.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

Has anyone tried breaking in an engine by mounting it on it's subframe and connecting it up to the radiator and the engine wiring harness. ?????

What would it take to do so ???. This info would help me out in a big way since I am about 2 years away from finishing the body. I need to crank the motor over and see if my xe268 cam will fail. Yes I know this cam has issues and I don't want to change this post over to a cam bashing thing..

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I just finished building one, the paint is barely dry. I got the idea from an ebay ad (link below). Mine is built much more heavy duty but looks similar. I did a lot of welding (contrary to the ebay version) but it's still built on a "stick" basis so it can be easily stored. I'll get some pics posted in the next day or two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...QQcmdZViewItem

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

When I pulled my old 350 and TH350, I didn't want to leave them sitting on the ground, so I made a big U-shaped cradle out of scrap 4x4's and bolted it to the engine mounts, and set the trans mount on another scrap of 4x4.

Sometime after that, I saw videos on youtube of kids trying to blow up junkyard engines in a garage--they were just sitting the engine mounts on top of cinder blocks and the engines were bouncing around a bit when they hit the throttle.

When I got ready to sell the 350, I had a couple of people ask to hear it run. I made up a wiring harness, and bolted a 2ft long 4x4 to the trans mount (in addition to the cradle that bolted to my engine mounts). It worked great. I was just doing quick "hear it run", so I didn't put a cooling system on it, but it would be easy to mount a radiator and electric fan on some 2x4's...

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

The question I have is that I have a completed subframe and a motor ready to run. If I mount the flywheel and trans and the rest of the accessoires/? to the motor and hook up the rad support and the radiator. Could that work as far as running the engine outside of the chasis ??

I know I would have to remote start the thing but how would I kill it if there is no key to shut it off.

I have never done it like this,,, but it would be great to break in the engine and fix any mechanical issues that may come up...

I may post this in the tech forum seeing how this is going off tpoic.

Never Ending Project

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjoe63 View Post
The question I have is that I have a completed subframe and a motor ready to run. If I mount the flywheel and trans and the rest of the accessoires/? to the motor and hook up the rad support and the radiator. Could that work as far as running the engine outside of the chasis ??

I know I would have to remote start the thing but how would I kill it if there is no key to shut it off.

I have never done it like this,,, but it would be great to break in the engine and fix any mechanical issues that may come up...

I may post this in the tech forum seeing how this is going off tpoic.
That was my other thought and Mark thought of it too. You may have to support back end of motor to keep headers off the ground, could even put some flat tires on it to keep it from moving on you. Radiator, battery, fuel , you could be in business. If you could set it up to a old farm downhole water pump, guess you could load it like a dyno? Thats the way Don Hardy from Hardy Racecars got started. He builds irrigation motors stand modules that run the pumps.
An old rolling chassis with no body could work too.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

The back end has a dolly bolted to it. I welded one with casters and I have the tires on the front spindles so I can move this thing around. I would have to somehow connect a remote starter to the motor. I don't get what you mean about the downhole water pump though. My engine is complete with the short water pump installed. I would need to figure out what wires needs to be connected to get power to the coil.

I am on a mission now.. P.S. I am lucky that only an hour away from where I live I found gas that does not contain Ethanol....

Never Ending Project

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

Don running a well pump sounds like fun , the one that waters the most lawn wins . You would then need to work out a chart converting acres in HP .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I just bought a 454 from a guy (drag racer) that had a test stand. Pretty simple looking thing - heavier than the one on the Ebay link. It worked great - I got to hear the engine run before buying. As soon as I got home, I posted a want ad on a few local sites, but may end up building one. I thought about using a spare sub frame and still might.

Only power source we had hooked up was 12v to the dizzy and starter. Of course, a ground as well. When we unhooked the 12v to the dizzy, the engine quit - just an alligator clip from the battery. We had a simple push button starter. I may call him up and see if I can come down and create plans from his. I would probably use a lakewood SFI bell housing I have to be extra safe - he was using a 621.

-Dan

================================================== =

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 06:00 PM
Senior Tech

Building a test fire stand off an engine stand is just too easy. I will NERVER fire motor in the engine compartment that has been on a stand again. Had a leaky soft plug and you know what that would be like fixing laying on your back. Just made some removeable struts and attached them to the motor mounts. With no tranny behind, it was very smooth on the stand. Here is my hillbilly link and don't make fun at the fact that I was jacking on the throttle so much!!!!

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ent=460BBC.flv

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

Some times take a look at some of the auctions in your area. I picked up a really good one at a great price at one of these. Some times they go really cheaply!

cap68
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 06:25 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Do a search for Larin METS (Mobile Engine Testing Station). It's the old PCS engine test stand. I don't have one yet, but will eventually. They have to be the best deal going. Costco online carries them for $329.99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode